Logo

Correct sending unit

DWester

Regular Contributor
I have a 1978 Cruiser that the sending unit has failed and was looking to find the correct replacement. Attached is a picture of it. I've found ones that look like it, but are shorter on the tank end. Any ideas where I can find this thing? It's made by Rochester Gauges in Texas.

Darol

Attachments

• P4030114.jpg
    P4030114.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 47
Most any universal sender should work how deep is the fuel tank? adid you confirm the sender was bad? Turn the ignition switch on and short the two wires to the sender together and the guage should read full?

Yes, that test was already done and the gauge went to full. The tank is 11" deep and the unit is 10 1/2 long. I'm assuming that the diameter of the top mount and the screw pattern is universal?

Also, someone was telling me that the gauge and sending unit have to match OHM wise. Is that true? If so, how do I find out what it would be? I tried getting the OHM reading on the bad unit, but it fails to show any variance.

Last edited:
The sender needed replacing. I learned also that the screw pattern is common. The unit works in a tank from 6" to 12" deep, mines 11, so I should be good to go. I hope.:)

Back