Logo

Owners Manual Caution

ClassicAQ

Regular Contributor
I was scanning through my OM and found information I was not looking for, yet worthy of a second read through. Located in the "operation" chapter, "mounting outboard motor". The CAUTION reads:

Incorrect engine height or obstructions to smooth water flow (such as the design or condition of the boat or accessories such as transom ladders/depth finder transducers) can create airborne water spray while the boat is cruising. Severe engine damage may result if the motor is operated continuously in the presence of airborne water spray.

Yam's manual caution statements have as much to do with causing engine harm as they are to preventing liability claims. But this caution statement in particular caught my attention because it used the word severe.

The lowrance transducer on my transom does kick up spray. Not enough to drench the side of engine, but I can see water droplets on the cowling. I've thought this through and cannot come up with a reason why the presence of water spray may cause severe damage. Any ideas?

Back