Logo

1994 350 in 1982 boat ignition issue

ryanwilson277

Okay so i am new to this forum with an issue thats making me pull my teeth out. i own a 1982 checkmate eluder that i recently installed a mercruiser 350 with thunderbolt ignition from a 1994 boat. all that i had to remove was the big prong for the orange wire in the wiring plug (i know i removed the correct one lol). so when i went to test start the engine i had no spark out of the tower on the coil. i had done all of the ignition test per mercruiser and i dont get any voltage from the red/white wire. i borrowed a separate wiring harness/ ignition switch used to test run the engine when out of the boat from a mechanic and wala! i got spark. so now i know i have an issue on the boat side and everything on the motor is good. so i started tracing wires and looking at the gauges and from what im seeing everything looks to be hooked up correctly per what the books wiring diagram illustrates. so what i was thinking is where my 4 accessory switches are im having the issue.

okay so i need to mention that with the boat wiring plug hooked to the engine with the key on i dont get voltage at the green/white or the red/white, but i do get voltage at the positive terminal on the coil. and also get voltage at the negative side of the coil. so the odd part is that when i disconnect the two grey wires from the negative post on the coil my navigation lights go out? so okay, im thinking my problem is at my accessory switches/light switches. so i disconnect all the wires from the switches and re check for spark. nothing. so then disconnect the radio and all other power wires in the ignition switch so the only thing hokes up is the purple, red wire, and yellow with red stripe. still no spark.

i really would like to fix this and get this boat running without buying a new wiring harness. if any more information is needed i will try my best. i apologize for my typing and run-on sentences, i dont use the computer much lol. any tips on where else to start would help. thank you

Back