Logo

Mark 55 upper mount

I'm hoping someone can explain the theory of the upper engine mounts in my mark 55 to me. I'm talking about the mounts bolted to the inside of the drive shaft housing at the top that yoke assembly bolts to. The yoke passes through the upper rubber mount and then through a series of washers, spacers etc and then is held in place by a nylock nut. It is this series of washers, and spacers that is driving me nuts. This series of washers etc consists of the following:

1 17/32 id washer
2 rubber washer
3 spacer
4 13/32 id washer
5 nylock nut

In my engine, the spacer is a little over 1/2" long and it passes through the rubber washer and the 17/32 washer, but not through the 13/32 washer. When the nylock nut is tightened on the completely assembled upper mount, the rubber washer and 17/32 washer are free to slide about internally. I just don't understand what is being accomplished in this arrangement. The spacer pulls down on the steel inner core of the front rubber mount, and the yoke can be secured in this fashion, but the rubber washer and 17/32 washer are still loose and don't do anything. They are just there for no apparent reason.

It would be a fairly simple matter for me to just toss the whole bunch of these washers and make a suitable spacer to replace all of them and be done with it, but I have to think they are there for a reason. I just can't figure out what that reason is.

Can anyone explain what i am missing?

Back