Logo

1989 70hp Evinrude vro conversion to standard fuel pump

Rcatron2

I have my vro bypassed and now having a fuel issue which I believe the pump went out I'm wanting to convert over to a standard fuel pump using brp#0385784 has anyone done this? If so what all has to be done?

I would use the pump off a 1989 65 hp commercial model.-----Fuel into filter cap.---------Remove pulse limiter and install fitting for a pulse hose.------Fuel out to the carburetors.---------Fabricate a bracket to hold the pump.

The pulse limiter that is ran with a separate hose to Port side of motor coming from vro with a valve for manual fuel flow or full run correct?

I am not sure what post # 3 is talking about, not at all.-------Are you confusing the fuel primer valve ( red lever thingy ) for starting with the pulse limiter that is protection / flow fuse for the VRO fuel pump ?-----------------The electric primer is not touched / modified when you install a conventional pump.

I'm sorry I think I know what your talking about now. Your talking about on the fuel pump you told me to use remove the pulse limiter from that and install and pulse hose connector ?

I have done this numerous times. You need the 3-inlet standard pump. Inlet, outlet and pulse.

You may need to cut or extend the hoses to make it work. Make sure you use the more rigid hose for the pulse line. Soft fuel line will not work well for that, as it will flex, absorbing the vacuum pulses coming from the motor.

This system works well. Be careful of some of the cheaper fuel pumps you see on Ebay and Amazon. Some of them have very low ratings, having failed immediately.

Best wishes.

Back