Logo

1990 175 VRO 90deg V6 does not rev up in gear in the water

Avanti

As the title says, if I put my boat in the water and go to accelerate it does not increase engine speed, it has new magnets, new stator, new plugs, new regulator, new ignition module, new timer base, new thermostats, new cooling passage rubbers. seems to start easy enough. Pretty sure the timing is correct as I have a manual and timing light, maybe the advance??? I'm running out of ideas, can anyone five me some ideas on what to do and how to do it??:confused:

If what you're saying is that the engine starts and idles normally... BUT... wants to die down and bog out when you increase the throttle, perhaps even stops completely, that is normally caused by on or both of two conditions.

Either the timer base under the flywheel is sticking instead of sliding smoothly towards the spark advance stop... OR... the carburetor high speed jets are fouled, gummed, clogged, a common problem especially if the engine has been sitting for quite a lengthy period of time.

Thanks for the reply, the timer base moves freely with the throttle, I will remove and clean the carbs when I get home in a bit over a week, do I need gaskets etc for them, or will they be ok to pull down and reassemble? Gotta start somewhere!

The high speed jets are located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber... way in back of the drain screw. The jets are secured with 1/4x20 threads and should be a snug/tight fit.

Run something like a packing wire through those high speed jets when you have them out to make sure they're clean.

Back