Logo

V6 200 starter motor Pinion/Bendix gear spinning backwards

tweesel

I recently had a look at the starter motor as every now and again it would give issues (usually nothing that a quick tap wouldn't sort out). Having seen that one of the positive connection wires was virtually not attached, I soldered it back on, reassembled it and now the pinion gear spins clockwise and thus doesn't lift to engage the flywheel!!! Reversing the terminal connections causes it to spin counterclockwise, and thus it rises and engages. I've taken it apart about a dozen times since then but cannot find the issue? Does inverting the magnetic sleeve reverse polarity, this is about all I can come up with, but when reversed, it doesn't sit snug in the housing. Please HELP!!

The magnets line up with the armature !----Therfor the open space is at the bottom where the brushes are.----And with a digital meter it should read infinity in ohms.---That reading is from the shaft to the commutator.

The magnets line up with the armature !----Therfor the open space is at the bottom where the brushes are.----And with a digital meter it should read infinity in ohms.---That reading is from the shaft to the commutator.

Thanks, Have reassembled it with the correct orientation, shaft still spinning clockwise!! Have checked all that, readings as you say- any ideas on what to check next? Have already insured that all the wires connecting the brushes are insulated, and that the brushes are properly connected to the commutator.

Use a voltmeter to check that you are getting the correct polarity at the starter motor terminals. I have never heard of one running backwards and I have stripped and serviced dozens of dc motors of that type. If it was possible to do with an assembly problem I probably would have found out by now ;-)

If you reverse the polarity going to that starter mtr on CERTAIN outboards, it will run backwards. Had it happen to me.

Back