Logo

Removing Honda Tilt Piston/Trim Component

Ericht

unspecified00.jpg

Hi. I have a BF40, and my tilt piston went bad, and lost all the fluid. I was fortunate to order a replacement off of ebay. I cannot get the bottom portion off for removal. I removed the nut and bolt, but it looks like there is a metal tube inside of the black plastic bushing that extends into the left and right stern brackets. Is there any way to remove the trim piston without removing the stern brackets?

I had a similar problem at the end of last season where a bush in the trim motor went bad. Sadly part 27 extends about 6 or 8 mm into the stern bracket on each side.
The technique I used ( if you could call it that) was to remove the steering rod, loosen the nut on the port side tilt tube parts 10 & 16, I then luckily had a hoist to support the motor as I removed the stern bracket/ motor from the boat I could then get a bit of play at the top of the bracket. Once bolt 13 was out I managed to remove part 27 and thus the trim unit with a jimmy bar and a lot of force and swearing. It's not a big time consuming job but you need the right tools and something to lift/ support your motor. I had more trouble getting it in again and called a mate to help.
This worked for me as I saw no other ways to get it done, there may well be someone out there that has a better solution.
Anyway best of luck.
Dean.

Hi,
I'm afraid the guys are right. I don't remove the brackets but I get the upper clamping bolt VERY loose and the lower one may have to come out (items 15)

If you don't have a hoist or a way to support the outboard from above, I think the 40 is light enough that, if you leave the port bracket tight to the hull, it can be tilted up far enough that it sort of balances over the transom and the power head can be tied in place using a strap or rope. That's how I do the 20 horse long shaft tilt cylinders. Never done a 40 but I think it would work.

Good luck.

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for the advice. It seems like it could have been engineered for easier removal, but it is what it is :(. I was thinking of doing some redneck things to swap it out, but ill consider everybody's advice on how to do it the right way, and then report back after its done.

Last edited:
Ok. So i read everybodys posts multiple times to create my removal and replacement strategy. Everything went well. Heres what i did:

Used ratchet strap to support motor from ceiling.
loosened all the bracket support bolts/nuts, removed the lower starboard bolt.
Use car scissor jack to push apart stern bracket enough to slip out part 27 and piston.
replaced piston, and reassembled.

Not too bad. I was dreading this all month. I thought i would have to disassemble the steering components, but it was not necessary. Thanks for everybody's help.

tilt.jpg

If you don't have an overhead beam to tie the ratchet strap to, you can first remove the upper pin on the tilt piston by removing the C slips on each side of the pin, you can tilt the motor up further to it's limit. At that point, it is fairly well balanced on the transom. So rest the skeg on a step ladder step (or similar brace) and you can then remove one side of the transom bracket. Just be sure to have the safety latch down in case it does slip off the ladder.

Chawk_man....good tip about the tilt locks being engaged. With my clumsiness and big feet, I would undoubtedly accidentally kick the ladder out and BEAN myself!!

Ericht....way to getter done!
Good onya!

Back