Logo

Replacing The Water Pump Impeller In A 1983 OMC 800 Stringer

TXBoater

I have read some old posts about replacing the water pump impeller without removing the outdrive. Does anyone have a more recent experience, or video, to share? I have heard horror stories concerning the shift cable and am hoping to avoid having to disconnect the shift cable or remove the entire outdrive.

Thanks!

You must drop the lower gearbox to replace the impeller. The shift cable may have enough play to swing the gearbox out of the way depending on how old the grommets are. You may need the disconnect the shift cables in the adaptor housing to get enough slack on the shift cable. just get a bucket or something to hold the gearbox up while you change the impeller. If you can find a OEM manual is always the best otherwise I prefer seloc manuals myself.

You must drop the lower gearbox to replace the impeller. The shift cable may have enough play to swing the gearbox out of the way depending on how old the grommets are. You may need the disconnect the shift cables in the adaptor housing to get enough slack on the shift cable. just get a bucket or something to hold the gearbox up while you change the impeller. If you can find a OEM manual is always the best otherwise I prefer seloc manuals myself.

Thanks! Found an OEM OMC Service Manual on eBay and ordered it today.

Yes, good choice on the manual. Those other two you mentioned can take the place of the Sears Catalog in that "house" they had years ago.

good choice and good luck,keep us posted with results

Okay, I am moving forward with this project, but have at least one last question. Do I need to drain the lubricants out of the upper & lower units before disassembly? I am venturing into unchartered waters here for me! Thanks!!!

UntitledOM_zpsubwynwli.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their input! That was a PITA job! However, it would have been much worse without the input from here. Bottomline...impeller had two vanes broken off. After 3+ hours, new impeller, housing & o-rings the temp held steady even through a long no-wake zone and idling while waiting to be loaded.

Back