Logo

1998 130 hard to start

Chuck1234

Have a new to me 1998 Yamaha 130. Before I start let me say I looked up all the old threads and checked everything I found in the forum. Nothing helped.
Motor is hard to start the first time. After cranking first time you can't get off the starter fast enough. One lick and it is running. Here is what I have checked; fuel- good. Fuel lines-good. Primer bulb- good. Filter- good. Choke- functions fully . Advance- good. Compression is less than 5 lbs difference in all 4 jugs.
Any ideas?:confused:

Pull the plugs, check their condition and verify spark. Unless the plugs are new, replace. They are an inexpensive solution if spark is the problem.

What is your starting procedure? Are you priming with the bulb till firm? How are you using the choke function,throttle advance? Has a compression test been run on her lately? Has an open air gap spark test been completed, After running these two tests fuel diagnosis is third

Last edited:
What is your starting procedure? Are you priming with the bulb till firm? How are you using the choke function,throttle advance? Has a compression test been run on her lately? Has an open air gap spark test been completed, After running these two tests fuel diagnosis is third
Everything you mention is good. Problem is something else. Carb is not picking the gas up for some reason.

You mentioned in your initial post the choke functions fully. There is a very small o-ring that secures the choke solenoid's arm to the the carb choke lever. If this o-ring has come off and you engage the ignition key choke function, you will still hear and see the solenoid's arm move. But it won't be moving the carb choke lever.

Have you verified the carb choke lever is indeed being engaged, thus closing the valves?

Pull air silencer off of carbs and verify function of choke visually

Second that.

There is a rubber seal for both carbs to the silencer assembly, these seals swell over time and keep the choke from closing completely. You can remove them for testing, if this is your problem order news ones and replace them.

P/N
[h=1]6K7-14483-00-00[/h]

Tried to upload pic to no avail. Silencer is off, choke works. Fuel good. Fuel lines good. Runs great after starting the first time. Carb is not picking up gas for some reason. My next step is to unhook fuel line from carb and start working back towards tank to verify gas is getting to carb. Guy I bought motor from had replaced fuel pump simply because he had tried everything else he could think of. So I don't really think pump is faulty, but I am going to verify that. I don't buy into needing to stand on one foot , howling at the moon to get a motor to start. You supply gas and spark in the right amounts at the right time and engines start.

Pull supply line off of carb,crank engine,if fuel is pulsing out nicely check float,needle and seat in carb. have carbs. ever been removed and thoroughly soaked,cleaned and rebuilt since new?

Pull supply line off of carb,crank engine,if fuel is pulsing out nicely check float,needle and seat in carb. have carbs. ever been removed and thoroughly soaked,cleaned and rebuilt since new?
Just pulled the fuel line-cranked motor-fuel pump working good. Pulled drain plug on both carbs-gas in both, looked like plenty. Put plugs back in, reprimed . Tried cranking with motor leveled and tilted, tried choked and not choked, tried with out idle advance lever pushed forward and tried with pushed forward. All to no avail. Useing wd 40 as starting fluid in both carbs, choked with advance forward, turned motor over a few times and it fired right up. Now motor may have been right at the point it was fixing to start anyway. Have no way of knowing. Do not know how long it has been since carbs were disassembled and cleaned. Probably what needs to happen. Just want to eliminate everything else before I do. Have Yamaha repair manual. Does not appear to have a "starter" jet. Any pointers before I tackle carb rebuild would be appreciated.

Johnny, I posted lengthy reply yesterday. Came up " mods have to approve" or some such nonsense. Maybe the overlords will approve. Slow typer. Not going to type all that again. Thanks for your input.

So we have spark,but still have a fuel restriction issue, but engine has run, How long has it stayed running? Thread#1 +3 says she runs after initial startup,for how long? Check to see if you have fuel from tank to primer bulb, bulb to pump, pump to carbs pulling fuel lines off and on as you go. Is fuel system vented properly? Any lines collapsing? Kinked? water/fuel separator clogged,leaking air anywhere in system? If you have fuel to carbs. read post#9. A little more history please,Engine is new to you correct? How long was she stored? Old fuel in tank from previous owner? Is battery fully charged and turning over a least 200-300 rpm?

Back