Logo

Honda BF 50A beeping alarm

edorminey12

I have a BF 50 A Honda outboard that is giving a beeping sound just as soon as it is put in gear. There is no beeping at idle.
The beeping is one second on and then one second off and continues as long as the motor is in gear.

I have disconnected the temperature and oil sensors and nothing changes.

I disconnected the tilt/trim at the first plug from the tilt/trim unit. I was thinking about unplugging it on the side of the engine if I can figure out where it connects.

The motor runs fine and will not cut back any. The oil light is green continuously.

I don't really need the Tilt/Trim at all if that is what is causing the problem but other than what I've done, I don't know how to disable it.

Any ideas?

If you have a side mount box, the 50 will give an alarm if the motor is trimmed too high and put into gear.

If you are getting the alarm with the motor tilted all the way down, then check to see if the trim sender is stuck in the up position. If it is, you might be able to free it up if you give it some generous dosing of pBlaster.

If it is not stuck, it could be faulty...but since you already disconnected the sensor from the box....find the other connector on the box and disconnect that. That should fix it.

Mike

If you have a side mount box, the 50 will give an alarm if the motor is trimmed too high and put into gear.

If you are getting the alarm with the motor tilted all the way down, then check to see if the trim sender is stuck in the up position. If it is, you might be able to free it up if you give it some generous dosing of pBlaster.

If it is not stuck, it could be faulty...but since you already disconnected the sensor from the box....find the other connector on the box and disconnect that. That should fix it.

Mike

Where would I find where to disconnect it other than where I have?

On the port side of the motor is where many bullet connectors interconnect most of the things on the motor.

Find the light green/black lead, that should be about the 3rd from the bottom and the Yellow/Green lead. that should be about 4th from the bottom.

Disconnect both of those and that should take care of your alarm issue.

Probably, just disconnecting the yellow/green would do it. It sends the ground to the buzzer.

The other lead is the lead from the throttle switch, that tells the module that it is in gear.

Mike

I got away with just the yellow green on mine, those trim senders are way too expensive to replace, when I can just look over my shoulder.

On the port side of the motor is where many bullet connectors interconnect most of the things on the motor.

Find the light green/black lead, that should be about the 3rd from the bottom and the Yellow/Green lead. that should be about 4th from the bottom.

Disconnect both of those and that should take care of your alarm issue.

Probably, just disconnecting the yellow/green would do it. It sends the ground to the buzzer.

The other lead is the lead from the throttle switch, that tells the module that it is in gear.

Mike

Thanks Hondadude. That seemed to work for me also. Just a quick question... when you say the yellow/green sends the ground to the buzzer, do you mean just for the tilt sender? Or ground for 'all' buzzer alarms? I guess what Im saying is, with the yellow/green unplugged... does that mean I wont get the buzzer for oil and overheat also? Cheers and regards Blair

Yes. As long as you disconnect it at that crossconnect, it only disconnects the ground from the tilt sender. The ground for overheat and oil pressure come from the CDI unit and come through a different connector to the buzzer.

Mike

Yes. As long as you disconnect it at that crossconnect, it only disconnects the ground from the tilt sender. The ground for overheat and oil pressure come from the CDI unit and come through a different connector to the buzzer.

Mike

OUTSTANDING! Hondadude you are a Legend! Many thanks from the Bay of Islands / New Zealand 🇳🇿

Back