Logo

Evinrude identify...need to buy a manual

Portis Left

Contributing Member
Hey guys,
i have acquired an evinrude 200 hp motor. From comparing it to you tube videos it looks like around a 76. I don't feel like it will be hard to identify...but I need exacts to buy a how to manual and parts. At this time I need a clutch dog. But I need to know all the specifics to this motor To disassemble it correctly. I worry about the shifting mechanisms.
MODEL: 200849R
SERIAL: J0001743
whT can you guys tell me about it or its removal of the clutch?

Thanks much. I will use that. I just need to know exactly what to look at. Clutch dogs look like about 80 bucks on eBay. It. Using the wrong one is a heartbreaker. I'm mostly just worrying about getting it all back in there proper.

0398488 for V-6 and outboard
0337774 for 800 series outdrive
I did not see the one for the outboard on ebay give seaway marine a call weekdays pacific time they have the best books and possibly have the part?

It runs perfect....idles perfect...goes into both gears in the yard perfect.
Once in water it will go into gear and push the boat but has a ticking/clicking sound all the way up where I can feel it in the controls. Easily audible. Both gears the same......runs around half to one third power however I didn't try to plane it out as not to damage further. Please feel free to comment anything. I'll post/answer anything that will help. I will consider all advice. I am very mechanically proficient. I even brought an old mercury up to par from help on this site so it will have to be pretty complicated to be not doable. I just don't run head long into stuff. What do you guys think? GO!!!

I would be looking at the spark advance for any loose parts for the sound to resonate up to the controls I doubt is is with the shift wires sounds like the throttle may have issues to me. Possible trigger hitting the flywheel?

Hmm....well let me say this. I can tune any old carbed car. It took me a video before I understood how my mercury works. The timing to full throttle was a weird 3 step type thing. I would need a possible video to see that the timing is all square. There's no loose parts that I can see. Let me flip it back around and ask why NOT the dog? I'm interested. I felt like I had it narrowed down.

Last edited:
Just giving my opinion from your description of the symptoms. My bet is a flywheel related problem. The control is connected to the engine with a cable for spark advance and the gearbox is through a wire. Did you try and wiggle the timer base under the flywheel? Is the flywheel warped?

I will try that. The gears on this one is a cable to a lever that pushes down on a rod at diff lengths for the gears. I just don't know which positions are what and no idea what's going on below that. I don't feel the flywheel is warped. At least when it's idling it's perfectly circular.

Well, I know for sure that it is not electric shift !!----------Not sure why some folks get this confused as 1972 was the last year for electric shift on the Johnson / Evinrude outboards !!!

Let me stress this absolutely only happens when the control lever moves to the point of engaging a gear. I can rev this thing with the warm up never and it's fine. Also can grab the throttle blades with my finger and quick rev it just fine. Only when it goes in gear does it make this noise. Keep it coming guys. Even if you say the carpet is the wrong color....I'll change it. It's certainly something simple.

Will do and report back. As we're going....can anyone tell me the info I need to buy books and parts? How do I find the year/style for these.

Do not shift slow into gear it will clunk once. What is the rpm at idle speed when your shifting gears shoud be around 600-700 rpm?

Last edited:
Ok guys there has.been some breakthroughs. I drained the foot and the first stuff to come out was slightly thick like oil brown stuff. Looked like exactly the color of peanut butter. Then black oil started mixing with it pretty quick. I didn't see metal but what is the thick brown stuff? Water? i can't see an actual separation of oil/water in the container. But the brown stuff is still there in the bottom in places. What to do?

Update......took the foot apart some. Since water intruded I decided to do whatever needed to be done so I went with it. No rust.....gears look fine. No bad spots at all. My question is how does a vertical shift lever go into a box and push a dog horizontally? What happens in that box? Do I need to go in there? If I take the drive shaft out I should be able to pull forward gear and dog. What is past that?

Back