Logo

Replaced water pump now grings into Forward and Reverse

Jennings

Have a 89 year Tracker Johnson Evinrude TE50TLCEC
Engine runs great! Just replaced the water pump just because I would feel safer with New pump!

I do not think I turned the shift rod to either lengthen or shorten!
If I did do I lengthen or shorten or trial and error!!

I did re-tighten a bolt in the Cam type junction that holds the small bolt that holds the shift rod in place (under the carb)
I'm wondering if this Bolt causes minor adjustments in the shift rod.

Help here will be appreciated!!!

Jennings

You might have to drop l/u again to measure shift rod length and adjust accordingly ,there is a specific measurement in shop manual depending on whether she's a 20"25"

Do not shift slow into gear and how fast is the engine running at idle speed? Disconnect the throttle cable and adjust idle stop speed around 700 rpm then adjust the cable to fit.

I can't find the measurement for the shift rod as I have no serv manual and can't find one! My shaft is 20" per parts manual. when this sound occurred--- I have a garden hose hooked to muffs for water supply and did not let the engine warn up to good operating temp before shifting. if I had of warned it up the RPM would have dropped some. Could this have caused the grinding noise? Noise is not a full grind as forcing the gears together but more like synchronizes not stopping the gear completely!!

Thanks for your help!!

NO, no,------------The gears are always meshed and turning when motor is running in nuetral.------------It is the clutch dog that engages with the turning gears that then turns the propshaft.----There are no synchronizers in the lower unit .------If you shift slow it will grind.--------------Outboards must be shifted with a quick firm motion of the control box lever.

Back