Logo

Model Year and Horsepower via Serial Number please

K2MFW

C256300

I'm guessing 1990, but what's the best way to determine horsepower for that serial number.

Manual rope start.

Thanks for any info.

Hown certain 8 hp?
If the serial number is 100% correct and the engine is anywhere within the 8 hp range, then Mercury has this engine listed as an 8 HP from new. Yes someone could have changed something such as the Carburetor to make the engine have a bit more power thereafter because the parts HP list has the HP range between 6 / 8 HP 9.9 / 15 HP.....

Thanks boat_tech.

OK, so from the factory it's an 8hp?, but what I don't understand is that the same serial number comes up as a 9.9 too? Or am I reading something wrong on these serial number charts?

I bought the motor used and only have the serial number on the motor to go by.

Probably the system is just showing it wrong is all...Have a link to where you tried?

http://www.marineengine.com/mfr/mercury_models.html

All of the charts for serial numbers for Mercury look the same and yield the same results.

My serial number comes up as a valid serial for 1990 6/8/9.9 and 15 hp.

So, again, how do we determine horsepower? Isn't there a better way to verify by maybe looking at the model of the carbs on it?

Mine say 10P stamped on them.

Thanks!

In order to use the/that chart to find the year, you'd have to already know for sure what the HP was from new.

Sometimes another way to help determine the HP should it have been modified using factory parts, You'd find some letters & numbers on/in the carb such as WMC-##....Then there's a list usually in a service manual under the carb repair section to see if you can match up the numbers....Sometimes the list is in "your" needed model year service manual... Sometimes it might be in a year before or after service manual...Just depends....Some members here I believe have a full carb list for all years/HP's...but I'm not positive of that.

But I can assure you that if you posted the correct serial number without any mistakes, this engine was a 8 HP when built new. If you're accidently off with just one number then that assurance goes out the window because depending on what number was a mistake, it could be a whole different engine size altogether.... Over the years I've seen many forum member miss post/read the numbers after having them post a photo of the serial number tag/welch plug they're looking at.... Other member here like racerone are really good at seeing the engine and knowing the year and HP...Me not so much.

Last edited:
Back