Logo

New carburetor vendor recommendations - 5.7 L

kargesphoto

Thinking of replacing the carbs on my two 76 SeaRay Weekender 5.7's. Would appreciate any recommendations on where to purchase. Saw them on marine carburetor.com for about $250/each. Was also contemplating doing the install myself to save some dough although I have never done a carb replacement, so not sure if thats something better left for an experienced technician. Thanks for any input! Chris Seattle, WA

I dealt with them. My engines were 1991 5.7s. I needed a Rochester Quadrajet. The carb was basically an reconditioned truck carb that was modified for marine use. It worked for about a year but was not as good as I expected. I pulled it and had it sent to one of the real professionals who rebuilds and tunes carbs for a living. The carb now runs like a brand new boat engine.

My "used/modified" carb was about $250.00 and then $250.00 to get it up to accurate specs a year later.

There is no problem installing a carb. The problem lies in getting it tuned once on the engine. Find a really good engine mechanic who knows that it has to be tuned at idle and most importantly with a load on it.

Good luck

I would agree with Chris. I'd never rebuilt a carb before but with all the information on the net and then a rebuild kit, it's pretty straight forward. I have twin 270's and I got both done in no time. The real issue comes with making sure you get them running right on your engine. That too is pretty simple, just find the info and take your time. I actually enjoyed the process and now the engines purr.

Good luck.

I'd suspect your original carbs were quadrajets....you can't find them new so you're SOL there.....like the wise men posting earlier, a thorough rebuild will make them work like new as long as they haven't suffered any corrosion....send a PM if you want recommendations...

As far a 'new' goes, the vast majority of what I've seen tend towards the edelbrock 1409's....they'll likely need an adapter plate and I'd suggest the flexible fuel line replacement. They are easier to fine tune, if you want to go down that path....

Back