Logo

1982 140 hp 'rude been sitting since 2011 - where to start?

bronzebogen

Hey all, I've owned several boats over the years and have done a couple impeller replacements, carb rebuilds, etc. on smaller outboards (15hp and 25 hp respectively) but have never dove in to one this big...

I recently acquired a 1983 18' steel fishing boat with a 140TRLCNB J0144650 on it. The old timer who owned it seemed to have cared for it pretty well, plugs and wires look new, all the hoses look newer, stainless steel fuel tank, newish prop. He last ran it in 2011.

I'm going to be using it for family outings so I want to tackle any issues that may arise before they do.

Where do I start?

Water pump rebuild kit, carb rebuild, spray some Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders are what I've been told before I even try to start it...

Anyone know any particular quirks on this engine I need to watch out for? I'd hate to screw something up on the first time starting it...

Thanks in advance!

You start with a compression test on one of these " crossflow " motors.--------------Write the numbers down in a log book.

I would flush entire fuel system from inside of tank to carbs. Hoses,primer bulb,fuel pump,change water/fuel separator out,Oil in cylinders,clean plugs, Turn over by hand at first to make sure everything is loose,get in running,check water flow,temp. Then change out water pump and rebuild carb. if necessary, An open air gap spark test after compression test is in order.

Ok, so preliminary findings so far:

Drained the lower unit gear oil. No water, but old oil for sure.

Ran compression test and got 70-72 on starboard bank and 69-75 on port bank. Methinks that's pretty low, am I correct?

**EDIT** I reran the test and cycled the engine 4-5 times and got better readings: 88-89 on sb and 88-84 on port. Kinda concerned about that lower port side being low, and the overall lowness of the numbers. Though I think with running seafoam in the cylinders will help bring it up a bit...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The numbers are low but fairly even at 8% between high and low. Is your battery fully charged? Get a can of fogging oil and spray some in the cylinders and then as your cranking on the starter hold the carbs fully open and give a good shot in the carbs that will lube the inners up good and coat the seals as well. Good to do on any engine that has sat for any extended period.

Good idea. I will pick some up tomorrow and reply to the thread with results of new compression tester and lube. Will be pulling lower unit off and doing pump replacement this week sometime as well.

i
The numbers are low but fairly even at 8% between high and low. Is your battery fully charged? Get a can of fogging oil and spray some in the cylinders and then as your cranking on the starter hold the carbs fully open and give a good shot in the carbs that will lube the inners up good and coat the seals as well. Good to do on any engine that has sat for any extended period.

Hey all, sorry for the delay in the update, had some nasty weather here and couldn't get to the boat repair. I went back and got a new compression tester and some fogging oil. After lubing up the cylinders and testing with new tester, I got 120-122 psi on all cylinders. Happy with that so far. Next was the lower unit. It took me two days to get it off and I thought I was going to have to invert the engine to get some lube up in the driveshaft. Fortunately, wood wedges prevailed and I finally got it removed today. Pulled the water pump and... yikes. Glad I did, the impeller is cracked and about ready to disintegrate. Going to replace housing as well. Should I be worried about other components if the impeller is that bad?

If the impeller was all broken yes you would need to check water flow up into the powerhead. You should do a pressure vacuum test on the gearbox. Put no more than 8psi pressure and soap test the shaft and shift seals while spinning the shafts and shifting gears.

Back