Logo

1976 Johnson Seahorse 25HP Model 25R76E

Larry B.

I own a 1976 Johnson 25HP Model 2576E In which the prop and shaft was spinning freely in reverse and forward so I thought that I had a problem with the lower unit. I did check the gear shift connections and it was moving up and down before trying to start it initially. Then I decided to start it up (in neutral) to see if the prop would actually spin in either gear. I pulled up on it twice and it wanted to start and run but on the third try the flywheel and the prop was locked up tight, so did something break and let go? What type of problem do you think I might have In the lower unit? How easy is it to remove the lower unit and the prop shaft components, any help, suggestions or videos.....

Seeking immediate help please

Did the shift interlock move ?

The job of the interlock is to lock the recoil starter when you shouldn't be starting it (like when in gear and/or fast throttle settings). Don't go tearing into the lower unit until you check the simple stuff such as this.

Is the interlock the white plastic piece which has one bolt in it and move in and out as you engage the gear shift? If so, they is moving along with the shift handle.

Just tried he manual shift and the found that both the shift lock and the lockout lever both moves in forward, neutral and reverse!! So what's my next step?? kimcrwbr1 have suggested to remove the top screw of the shift connector and drop the gearbox and see if it will start, which may indicate that something is in a bind in the lower unit or that it maybe in the power head...any other suggestions before removing the gear box???

Can you pull the recoil when shift is in nuetral ??--------------Can you move / turn the flywheel with your fingers ?

Well, it could be anything from a broken drive pin in the prop.---------Or screws loose under the flywheel.-----Or internal engine problems.-------How long have you owned this motor.----Did it loose drive at full throttle or idle speed ?----------Any more history on the motor ?

Sounds like a broken pinion gear, but we can guess all day. You need to remove the lower unit and see what is still locked up---powerhead or lower unit.

Well, I dropped the gearbox and found out that I can now move the flywheel. The shift rod appears to be pretty free so I'm sure that's something have rusted out or let go. I haven't had any more time to remove the lower unit yet but expect to do so by the week-end and I will advise what I found and still may need some assistance from you guys. Thanks for everyone input on this matter as I truly appreciate the help.

Well guys, I want to think you all for such great support. I dropped the lower unit and found a rusty broke shift lever and the dog clutch looked a little rough. I found a used prop shaft with all components so I'll be replacing the entire lower unit

Thanks again to everyone.

Back