Logo

Rochester 2 Jet Carb - cleanup and help

ready2go

Hi all - I have a Rochester 2 Jet Carb (120 Mercruiser i/o, Starcraft 18' aluminium). I had problems this summer with the engine faltering after going to full throttle, even advancing the throttle there very gradually. If I stayed at half throttle I was mostly OK, as long as I didn't try to go to the top. Then it would stumble and if it didn't stall, it would go back to a pretty slow state until I idled for a bit and tried again.

So I took it apart, and with a couple visits to my marine mechanic and some online stuff, learned about the jets, power valve, accelerator pump, etc. I'm new at working on carbs. I can make the springs and valves for the power system move nicely. The problem I'm having is the little ball bearing under the acc pump springs, which fits into that little hole there. It is stuck in the hole and isn't coming out so far. The question I have is twofold:

1) How can I loosen that ball out? I tried carb cleaner and it didn't do much. I thought about using heat but I was reluctant to go to that option yet.

2) Do I really need to get it out. I haven't had it back together to test yet. I read in the older posts on this forum somebody thought that "there were a lots of carbs out there with the ball stuck in the hole, and the operator hasn't noticed". If I just put it back together as is, would I notice there was a problem?

I assume that my power problems were more related to the power pump or other filters, and not the accelerator pump.

Any insights are much appreciated. I am new to this forum and look forward to being a part of it!

I have found that the two barrel kits have two different sized balls in them. Obviously the smaller ball gets bound up in the well. I have used compressed air to blow backwards from the nozzles to get rid of them. Stand clear they come out like a bullet.

Back