Logo

No Voltage Regulator?

carlbass

I have a 1978 Merc 80hp 4 cyl with Ser# 5004818. My voltmeter registers 16v as I increase rpm and stays there until I bring it back to idle. I took the boat to a Mercury shop and was told my motor does not have a voltage regulator. It obviously has a stator and rectifier, but no
v. regulator. If so, how would one adjust the voltage output so that I don't harm the battery?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Carl

You can't adjust the voltage your motor. It uses the battery as the regulator, that's why you shouldn't run sealed batteries on them as they need to be kept full. www.cdielectronics.com may make a combo rectifier regulator for your motor. They used systems like that for a lot of years with no issues just keep the battery full of electrolyte. The alternator is only about 5 amps they really don't damage a battery.

Thank you for the fast reply.
Just my luck that I use a sealed battery for the crank battery. I will check out the link you gave me for cdielecronics and see what I can do other than buying an unsealed battery.

Thanks again

Carl

One of those refrigerated ice chests use alot of extra power and a nice addition for cold beverages and keep the fish fresh. Clean the fish and keep them on ice as you catch them. Otherwise yes get a old style lead acid car battery anything over 15 volts and things start heating up and can snowball to cooking the stator and the switchbox.

Kimcrwbr1, good call on the ice chest, you can never have enough of those "cold beverages" on board, Had a marlboro one on board of a friends semi rig and it killed the batteries overnight while sleeping, carlbass don't forget to unplug it when you dock!

Thanks to everybody for your help and suggestions. After researching the rectifier/regulator from cdielectronics, I think I will buy a good quality lead/acid battery that I will keep a close eye on. After all, this is the way things worked with outboards for many years. If I have problems than I will get the rectifier/regulator and install it.

Thanks again

Carl

Turn on your running lights when you operate the boat, and it might be just enough load to keep the voltage within a reasonable range.

Otherwise, it's relatively simple to retrofit a voltage regulator/rectifier assy as needed. HTH........ed

I've added voltage regulators to several older Mercs. Not hard to do. You can buy them on-line for lawn mowers and other applications. CDI makes a quality one for about 75 bucks.

Jeff

Back