Logo

Please help 130A won't start

bowmag

Please help. I recently inherited a Boat with a Honda 130 4- stroke that has been setting up a few years 3-4. I drained the old fuel from the lines and the VST and attached a new tank of clean fuel to it. Could not get it to start. I changed the plugs and I did check spark, ok.
I have read many of the forums trying to figure out what to do next. I did check the voltage to the HP Pump. When ignition is turned on it goes well over 12 volts then sounds like a relay kicks it out. I can not hear the HP pump rev up. I am thinking this may be the problem. Can old fuel cause it to freeze up? What is the best way to check it?

I'm not too familiar with the 130, is it fuel injected or carb? I would drain the VST and the fuel tank and put a fresh supply of fuel for starters.

Ok, sorry I saw that...I would pump primer bulb til it gets firm, open up screw on vst, turn key to see if fuel is coming out of vst. Let me know. These HP pumps in the vst will still hum and turn on, but won't push fuel when they go bad.

Ok, sorry I saw that...I would pump primer bulb til it gets firm, open up screw on vst, turn key to see if fuel is coming out of vst. Let me know. These HP pumps in the vst will still hum and turn on, but won't push fuel when they go bad.

I get no humming or any indication HP pump is running. Can I run a 12v directly to it to test?

Yes,

Unplug the pump connector and put 12v directly to it. When you apply the power, put a screwdriver tip to the casing of the fuel pump and the handle to your ear. That will help you hear it easier.

Mike

Yes,

Unplug the pump connector and put 12v directly to it. When you apply the power, put a screwdriver tip to the casing of the fuel pump and the handle to your ear. That will help you hear it easier.

Mike

I will have to step away for a short while and get back, but I will try that next. Thanks

I hooked up the HP pump motor direct to 12v after putting 15 amp in-line fuse just to be on safe side, and got no response. Is it possible it might just be froze up or do you think it's shot?

Skooter is right. Even if you can unstick it......it will probably stick again.

As you are changing it out....if you find any evidence of debris or water, you should also open up the vapor separator and clean it out with some solvent like brakekleen.

Mike

Back