Logo

Motor slowed down while running wide open

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
If I wasn't so financially deep in this boat I'd just blow this thing up and have a good fire at this point. It's my 97 evinrude E115eleua again.. has an sei foot that only has about 7 hours on it. Something strange happened driving back to the ramp earlier after work.. I know on breaking in the new foot it's short bursts of wide open then slow back down. So I had run wide open for a just a few seconds then right when I pulled the throttle back to slow down, the boat lost half its speed.. I'm 99.9% sure I didn't pull back that much, and so I pushed the throttle back to wide open but the boat did not speed up at all... so l slowed down to idle speed, idled for a whole 10 seconds, went back to planing speed and gunned it and that was it... no problem at all.. could this have been a power pack or a stator issue?

Bring an assistant with a timing light, check coils for excessive heat when issue arises,a infrared digital temp. gun would help Is engine running at the proper temperature? thermostats open around 143F!!

Possibly slugging water how old is the fuel in the tank? Just sounds like the fuel sloshing in the tank pulled in a slug of water and worked its way through. Just a thought?

Not real sure! It didn't even shut off or nothing. No sneeze, cough, nothing that sounded like big money probs yet... I guess back to the lake I go after work to see if it does it again

Georgia boy67, I followed your threads back to Jan.19,1916, you started out with 2 year old fuel in tank,said it was siphoned out, Was tank ever flushed and cleaned completely? 6-2-16 power pack going bad ! Was powerpack ever swapped out? Stator was leaking 2-16-2016 was that ever changed? Was the high compression issue ever addressed, solved? You mentioned during refitting of powerhead carbs were rebuilt,fuel pump changed,fuel lines replaced. 9-7-2016, "can trash in gasoline keep your motor from starting" crud or water still in tank from day one? 2-13-2016 kill switch, Was it replaced? 3-20-2016 "motor slowing down while running wide open" have you run an open air gap spark test on the ignition system recently, Answer our questions!! Pull the fuel filters and take a look, dump the fuel/water separator into a clear container,leave overnight and look for separation,crud,water,debris.ETC.

Last edited:
Does the engine's self test warning horn BEEP for one second (approximately) when you turn the key to the ON position? (Wondering about overheating)

If no self test horn alarm exists.... With the key in the ON position (engine NOT running), ground out one of the heat sensors in the cylinder head. That completes the overheat circuit and the horn should sound constant and steady. Does it?

Did you receive any warning horn alarm when this took place? Anything additional you can add?

Did the fuel primer bulb have a deflated appearance when this occurred? (Fuel restriction?)

compression test first. If he is running lean for some reason, and the piston swelled, causing binding in the cylinder, he has damage. Compression test will tell.

compression test first. If he is running lean for some reason, and the piston swelled, causing binding in the cylinder, he has damage. Compression test will tell.

Dasel...... Yes, that and a spark proper test, if for no other reason than to get it out of the way for peace of mind.

Tank was never flushed. Just drained. I've had to drain it 2 times since then. Haven't had fuel issues (that I know of), since then. Power pack beer swapped cause at the time I thought it was the power pack causing me my rubbing issues on the first reman powerhead, later found out it was the wrong pistons put in, stator never swapped. Shop never clarified what in the world he meant with me having a leaky stator. To this day I don't know. High compression, no one can find anything wrong so just running it as is. I haven't touched it since last night. boat has never had a fuel/ water separator. Wish I did lol. It's handy to have. I wanted to pull the plugs and check the fuel filter while I'm at work, work at a boat repair shop but big boss has me on boat cleaning duty today. Yes to the kill switch I fixed it. Bought a new key switch and installed it the other day. Haven't done an air gap test in a while..

Horn doesn't beep. Gauge works, all lights light up when I turn the key on. The whole incident was strange because the motor made 0 noise, no cough, no sneeze, no bogging down, no clunk. or anything. (Not yet at least) just suddenly went to half the speed I was going without much throttle movement. When it lost power I slowed to idle speed, engine never shut off or tried to either, went back to planing speed and sped up even more and it did nothing else to the ramp.. if the weather behaves I'm going back tonight right after work to see if the problem or something worse comes back.. (hopefully just a fluke) I'm gonna check the plugs, and the filter. Will do a compression test just cause I can. Will let you know of my findings later tonight. Maybe tomorrow depending if the weather lets me be on the water.

What I want to know is WHO repaired the wrong piston issue???? I myself think you been spoon fed a bunch of bovine scat!!!!

The wrong piston issue was Gwinnett marine. They replaced that first powerhead with a second one and powerhead wise I really hadn't had any trouble. I haven't gone there since I got the second powerhead put on around spring time last year.

Compression still roughly the same, 135, 115 , 125, 116. Plugs were good, fuel filter had a little bit of stuff in it but nothing bad, ran fine this evening on the water. Whatever it was guess all is good at the moment til something else decides to break! Wish I wasn't so deep into this boat so I can just get rid of it!

1997 115hp Evinrude

The stator mention.... I've never heard it called a "leaky stator" but here's what is meant pertaining to the stator problem if it exists:

(Stator "35amp" Melt Down)
(J. Reeves)

The usual characteristic or sympton pertaining to an engine that has a stator melting down is that it will have spark when cold, but will have weak or no spark when hot. Many engines will run fine at first, but after being shut down, then attempting to restart 30 minutes or so later will not start. However, after sitting and cooling down, the engine may once more start and run. Eventually the stator will fail altogether resulting in no ignition/spark even when fully cooled.

This pertains mainly to the 35amp charging stator BUT this problem has also affected other smaller ampere stators. Make a note that the stator on engines manufactured in and after 1973 are two fold components. There are a series of smaller coils which deliver AC voltage to the rectifier, the rectifier converts that voltage to DC voltage to charge the battery. There are larger coils that deliver AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor in order to energize the ignition.

The 35 ampere stator has two (2) large black coils located (usually) at the rear of the stator. This 35 amp stator runs extremely hot and even though the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier may be in perfect working order, this type stator will in time have what is called a "Melt Down". This is when those two large black coils start to drip a sticky substance down upon the timer base and the powerhead. The result is that the outgoing AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor drops, and this in turn results in weak ignition and eventually no ignition.

The smaller ampere stators (4 cyl) may have those larger coils... One at the extreme front, the other at the extreme rear of the stator.

If a rectifier on any horsepower engine has failed (keeping it simple), this results in having the voltage back up at the stator causing the stator to overheat, which in turn causes a stator melt down.
Find out why you have no warning horn setup...............

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.
The compression readings you state of: 135, 115 , 125, 116 is "Not Good". There is a difference of 20 psi between the highest and lowest cylinder psi reading! Something is not as it should be within that powerhead.

Yeah I quit going to Gwinnett marine.. too many problems with them. He never clarified what he meant by a leaky stator, or stator leaking internally. I do know that I most likely have a bad rectifier. The reason I say this is because my tach hasn't read right at all. It reads great in idle speed only, but after that it drops to 0 once I speed up. And I have swapped it with a good known tach and it still did the same thing. M volatage gauge reads fine and it does say that it has 12 volts of power. Nothing higher then that yet. As for the compression I've had a bore scope peek through the cylinders. No carbon buildup. No anything along the cylinder walls, air leak down test was done, first 3 were 8%, 4 was 15%. Powerhead turns over first try on cold start. after it gets warmed up it turns over almost instantly at turn of the key.

I do know that I most likely have a bad rectifier. The reason I say this is because my tach hasn't read right at all. It reads great in idle speed only, but after that it drops to 0 once I speed up. And I have swapped it with a good known tach and it still did the same thing.

As for the compression I've had a bore scope peek through the cylinders. No carbon buildup. No anything along the cylinder walls.... Powerhead turns over first try on cold start.

Pertaining to your tachometer malfunction:
(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below). You've already checked this out.

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper factory procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Normally the Gray wire leading from the tachometer is attached at the terminal strip to another Gray wire which leads from the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier...... remove the gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

You have already found the problem... see below, marked in RED.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.
As for the compression: I understand the problem in not finding any flaws with a bore scope, however whereas a difference of say 5 to 8 psi difference between cylinders may not indicate a problem... a difference of 20 psi does absolutely. Bored a little too much oversize, honed instead of a needed bore job, cleaning and re-installing used piston rings, something! No intentions of trying to sound like a "know it all" or insulting your intelligence here as I'm sure that this psi difference is weighing fairly heavy upon your mind.

When I was working on these engine daily, to encounter a 20 psi difference... that would have me tearing down the powerhead completely (with the customer's approval) to pinpoint the problem. However in your case, would there be a possible warranty still in effect?
The "powerhead turns over first try" mention, I assume, indicates that the electric starter cranks the engine over properly and that the engine fires and starts running normally every time. Good to know.

Yes the motor fires right up almost instantly. What do you think could cause the compression the way it is? All 4 pistons are stamped at .040 bore oversized. Once this thing blows it's done. Bay marine had also told me that they noticed there was some rust putting on the number 4 cylinder. Said it looked to be a previous ring failure.. I just need this boat to last til the end of the year so I can get a new one. The warranty expired last month

Keep us posted,this been one heck of a see-saw battle with that engine, Good luck this season and have a safe and happy boating summer.

It's been a pain in my wallet and my head. I've kinda had it lol

Yes, in your case the old saying that "A boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money" is absolutely an apt quote.

Frankly, if I were you..... I would chalk up to experience the adventure with that engine and vow never again to do business with the powerhead rebuilding people... then making sure that the engine will start and run properly, trade it in for a later model at a more reliable, well researched dealership that will provide a written warranty... preferably a land based dealership that does not have immediate access to the waterways for obvious reasons. It's a very expensive road you're traveling!

Yeah I agree.. the motor just did the same thing again.. once again only at wide open throttle. And it slowed down to idle speed only, for maybe 5 seconds. Went back up N plane and gunned it and it was fine.. almost sounds like it's getting too hot

You best be very careful. If you are running a lean cylinder, and the piston is swelling up, which can and will happen, you will permanently damage your engine.
It has good compression now...but I assure you, a lean seize up will damage it.

I had that happen once to my 1985 185hp v6 crossflow. The root cause was fuel starvation due to the rigger's use of 1/4" fuel line to a Fuel line quick disconnect.
The riggers did it.

They also tried to fix it. They essentially de-tuned the WOT timing by three degrees (retarded) so it wouldn't wind up to full RPM.
Idiots.

I'm gonna take it to work(certified mechanics and dealership) and let them fool with it and see what they find. I will keep y'all posted to see what happens. Might take a couple weeks

Joe I've made a discovery. Fishing guntersville last week I noticed that when I hit the trim switch, my tach needle jumps up and down. I think Something is not wired right. I know hitting the trim and tilt switch on the control box should not make the tach needle jump up and down..

So with the motor it looks like that the only issue we can find is that the fuel hoses are bad, which more likely then not are causing air to get in the fuel system, and at wide open the fuel pump can't keep up causing the motor to slow all the way down to idle. There are a lot of grounded up pieces of fuel hose in my fuel filter. And looking closer the outside of the fuel lines they are splitting apart from one another. So we are going to replace the fuel lines from the gas tank to the primer bulb, and from the primer bulb to the motor. And this weekend I will try to do a test run and see if it fixed it or not. We have severe storms rollin in today for a good chunk of the day. Tomorrow and Friday go from a. High of 82 like yesterday to 57 and 61 with 30 mph winds. So I'm staying off the water for the next couple days

Can you pull the pickup tube in the fuel tank? There may be a dirty strainer on the end of the tube? Also the antisiphon devise if present tend to plug up as well. Basically it is just a spring loaded check valve so the fuel will not siphon out of the tank it takes suction pressure.

We can try to pull the pickup tube. It's never been pulled out to my knowledge. Maybe when my uncle had the boat but he's never spoken of it. Might be something else we should check

Joe I've made a discovery. Fishing guntersville last week I noticed that when I hit the trim switch, my tach needle jumps up and down. I think Something is not wired right. I know hitting the trim and tilt switch on the control box should not make the tach needle jump up and down..

I encountered that scenario a couple times but it was so many years ago, I've forgotten exactly what it was. However, I do recall that it was due to the wiring of one being intertwined with the other... such as their grounds being connected to the ignition switch instead of to a ground plate that led to the battery negative post... or the power leads being hooked in series, something of that nature.

Best to simply disconnect one or the other (both if necessary) later on after you solve the running problem and wire them correctly.

Back