Logo

Motor slowed down while running wide open

There are a lot of grounded up pieces of fuel hose in my fuel filter. And looking closer the outside of the fuel lines they are splitting apart from one another.
That will certainly cause issues. That sudden slow down of the engine could have been a lean seizure due to restricted fuel flow. I hope not.

Visibly cracked fuel lines and chunks of rubber on a filter are really bad things. Complete replacement of all fuel lines is an absolute must at this point.

KJ

I would chalk up to experience the adventure with that engine and vow never again to do business with the powerhead rebuilding people

This is supposedly is a OBR powerhead which has a GREAT reputation and is even sold on this site. 85% of the remans posted on Ebay are OBR. All it would have took on the compression issue is a phone call (which I suggested) to OBR and the problem would have been solved. I think the previous dealer rebuilt it and told you it was a reman OBR powerhead as I myself have seen very few of their powerheads bored .040 except Farces/Chizlers

I've got a receipt from the people who put the obr block on showing it was from obr. Besides my last powerhead that was blown would have needed new pistons and a new crankshaft, and it was the third time that particular block had blown.

Okay so update.. ran the motor on muffs with new fuel lines installed. Primer bulb, after pumping all the air out, primed up in 4 squeezes again.. it took 12 squeezes of the bulb before the bulb got firm with the old hoses. We did another compression test today with a different gauge and thread type hose, (I used slightly bigger thread then the plugs are... thank the Lord I didn't do any damage that I know of yet..got slightly different numbers, (still not good) both starboard cylinders were at 130 each. The top port cylinder was 105, and the bottom was 110. Sighs. Checked everything possible with that compression. Too bad motor is out of warranty now. Oh well, didn't wanna go back to those dip**** mechanics anyhow. Where I work at faztbullet the mechanic who put the sei foot on for my boat said he won't touch obr he had too many problems with them. I think it's called riverside... he said that's all he'll fool with now. Can't say I disagree since if something is indeed wrong with this block, then it would have been 3 powerheads from obr with issues from first 2. (This is the second)

Guess they ship the good ones to Tennessee as sold quite a few as have other dealers in my area and never had a problem with any of them. Riverside used to supply OMC/BRP with reman powerheads but I heard that fell by the way when they started using non OEM parts. Any repair shop that would reassemble/install a powerhead with old fuels and fuel lines is shade tree in my book.

That's Gwinnett marine then!! They didn't replace the fuel lines, just the bulb, guess what they had replaced it with? Attwood! This was a year ago. Guess what bulb got thrown in the trash? Along with any chance of me going back! Now I have new fuel lines and a good evinrude bulb from where I work at now. Will try to do lake test tomorrow and update you guys to see if any new problems appear and/or the motor slowing down randomly happens again or not

Okay update.. lake tested it today. Motor still acted up..only at full throttle, doesn't always happen, this time though, with the new hoses, the motor didn't slow down all the way to idle speed, it slowed down from 40 to 36 mph, and went up to full speed again and slowed again, without touching the throttle either. did this a couple times before i pulled back on throttle to slow down more. The Rpms were jumping up and down repeatedly without touching throttle before i slowed
down a bit more and it started running smooth again.. think I need a new fuel pickup tube. One of the guys on here suggested that I believe. And the techs at work said I should replace it as well.

Roger that. I bought a new one but I can't get the valve off that connects to the fuel hose. Should that screen be pushed halfway off the tube like it is? Or should it be all the way against it???

Are you talking about the antisiphon valve outside the tank? It could also be stuffed up with corrosion causing restriction. They are cheap as well.

And on the pickup tube that screen at the end... is it supposed to be halfway off the tube? You can seen the screen is only about halfway on there.

Yep that's what it looks like! That's what my fuel hose is on that I can't get off!! We put a double walled fuel hose from the tank to the bulb, with an Otiker clamp

Are you saying the fuel line is stuck on the barbed end of the fitting? Just cut the hose at the end of the fitting and cut the piece stuck on the fitting throught the nylon cord almost down to the barbs and then pry it off. Some of those barbs are pretty extreme and holds the fuel line on real good.

Okay update.. lake tested it today. Motor still acted up..only at full throttle, doesn't always happen, this time though, with the new hoses, the motor didn't slow down all the way to idle speed, it slowed down from 40 to 36 mph, and went up to full speed again and slowed again, without touching the throttle either. did this a couple times before i pulled back on throttle to slow down more. The Rpms were jumping up and down repeatedly without touching throttle before i slowed
down a bit more and it started running smooth again.. think I need a new fuel pickup tube. One of the guys on here suggested that I believe. And the techs at work said I should replace it as well.

do you have any update on your issue by chance? I'm having VERY similar issues, with regard to my boat dropping rpms at wide open throttle on its own (ie. 30mph down to 26mph then back up to 30mph within a matter of 10-20 seconds) and am curious if you ever resolved this.

i have an additional issue on top if this (boat is not reaching max rpm when i add 1 passenger; it drives 4800rpm with just me, only 4200rpm with 1 extra person), but i'm qualifying that as a separate issue compared to the rpm variance when WoT (wide open throttle).

thanks for any information!

Back