Logo

1994 Johnson 25hp surging at top end

Aluminum426

I have a 1994 Johnson 25 hp long shaft. Bought the motor cheap because the guy had issues with it. At idle it "coughed and sneezed" even with the idle air screw off of seat completely. And on top end "with the hood on" it surges and never gets up to full speed and it takes off really slow. With the hood off however, it takes off like a rocket and reaches top speed instantly. So I assumed it was sucking air after the carb. So I pulled the intake, found the reed valves slightly distorted, so I bought a brand new plate assembly. Along with all new gaskets. I even rebuilt the carb while I was at it. Replaced the plugs, wires, and both coils since they were cheap. The idle problem is now solved. But still has the same issue on top end. With the hood off it runs like a rocket. But with the hood on. It is slow and sluggish and it surges and never gets to top end. And the vent on the back of the hood is open and free of blockage. I went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump today and the tank and hose is off of my 30hp Johnson. Which runs excellent. I don't know what else to try. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I don't want to just start replacing parts. Hopefully someone has seen this issue before. Thank you!

Back