Logo

TAMD74P EDC Intermittent Potentiometer problem

Kwaussie

I have a '99 Precision40 Flybridge with twin '99 Volvo TAMD74P EDCs with 1250hrs on the clock. They run great but the port engine has had an intermittent fault (error code 27) which puts the engine into limp mode and indicates a problem with the Potentiometer.

Sometimes I can clear it per the instruction manual but sometimes I need to turn off all battery banks before it clears. Some days I can do a 12 hour marlin trip without a problem after clearing, other days it will reoccur every few minutes - frustrating!

I've had the potentiometer changed a few times and the wiring checked (although I still suspect something amiss in the wiring at the gearbox end). Volvo have recently installed the 2006 wiring loom recall upgrade but it made no difference. They are coming again today with their diagnostic gear so fingers crossed.

Has anyone else has this type of problem and been able to resolve?

Thanks, Lincoln

Hi Tom

No never did fix it completely. Have isolated it to the wiring betwiien the engine and potentiometer looms. But have not been able to get Volvo to assist in finding where it is. They have a diagnostic loom but EuroMarine on the Gold Coast won't let me have it unless the fault is live and then we have to book it. Of course it's cleared by the time its available and is almost impossible to reproduce at a time and place so we have a catch 22. I've gotten very good at clearing the fault when it happens though'!. All I need is a loom to bypass min and we can prove the fault's location but just can't get the bypass loom from Euro. Frustrating!!

I have a '99 Precision40 Flybridge with twin '99 Volvo TAMD74P EDCs with 1250hrs on the clock. They run great but the port engine has had an intermittent fault (error code 27) which puts the engine into limp mode and indicates a problem with the Potentiometer.

Sometimes I can clear it per the instruction manual but sometimes I need to turn off all battery banks before it clears. Some days I can do a 12 hour marlin trip without a problem after clearing, other days it will reoccur every few minutes - frustrating!

I've had the potentiometer changed a few times and the wiring checked (although I still suspect something amiss in the wiring at the gearbox end). Volvo have recently installed the 2006 wiring loom recall upgrade but it made no difference. They are coming again today with their diagnostic gear so fingers crossed.

Has anyone else has this type of problem and been able to resolve?

Thanks, Lincoln
I am having the same issue. Any luck figuring this out?

Someone told me that they did make an direct + cable too the edc panel/gas/gear shifter.
The edc is not happy about low voltage, such as bad battery, generator, bad cabels or high resistens in cable.
That did solve the 2-7 foult code.

Back