Logo

Serial number and parts

Genetk44

Hi guys.
heres the problem...my friend just bought a boat with a 1995 Honda BF40A serial number BAYE-1002204.
when I enter that number into the online serial# search online it comes back as non-existant, plus the local Honda dealer says it doesn't appear in his data-base. So it appears without a good serial number it gets alot harder to order parts.

My questions...any kind of work around to get parts without the serial#, is the serial number really that essential? Especially for a 1995 engine? Would the parts for a BF40A have changed that radically since 1995??

To add to the complication...my buddy lives on an island in the Bahamas, the local dealer is 80 miles away in Nassau on another island....so parts are normally ordered by phone/online from the dealer in Nassau or from the states and shipped over....no just hopping into the car and just driving in to get parts.

cheers
Gene

The serial number that you posted is the engine serial number for model BF40A. There should also be a different serial number on the frame....generally on the frame where it mounts to the boat.

For most parts, using the model BF40A should be all you need. The motor is the same 1995 thru 1997. The only differences in any of the models for those years......1. Tiller steering with no power tilt; 2. tiller steering with power tilt; 3. Remote control with no power tilt; 4. Remote control with power tilt; and Remote control with power tilt in 25" Shaft version.

Mike

Mike...yeah, that serial number is the one imprinted onto the cylinder block. The tag on the frame is missing,it looks like the rivets holding it on corroded away at some point.

This particuler engine is a remote control,powertilt...I'm not sure about the shaft. So what I'm taking away from your comment is that parts,such as gaskets,impellers are pretty much unchanged over the years for the BF40A models ??

www.boats.net

click on Honda Marine

Click on Outboard Parts

Click on Pre-1997

Click on the BF40 version you have based on the reference chart on the bottom of the page

Boom.....you have your parts.

Hi, I too recently bought a Honda engine with serial Number BAYE-2001310. Does anyone know what year this is? The plate on the transom mounting bracket is a differing number. BAYL-3000750, and searches show the bracket serial number would be from 1999, but the engine may be prior? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Back