Logo

115hp evinrude no spark after sitting

Cajunbowfisher

Hello, I've got a 1973 115hp evinrude. Ever since I've bought it it has had spark problems. Is what it will do is no spark after sitting for awhile, could be 2-3 days. So when I want to take it out I will remove spark plugs and leave one connected to wire and just turn motor over until I see spark. This sometimestake half a day of on and off so I'm not over doin get the starter. Once I finally get spark I can button it all up and doesn't give me any problems at all while on the lake. I can turn it off and be fine. Even come out the next day and be fine. It's just after sitting for 2 days or more it does this. Any ideas? I've tried googling but no info on this exact problem. Only thing I can think of is something g with power pack or rectifier? I'm a diesel mechanic so do have some knowledge, just don't want to throw parts at it. Thanks.

In addition to Boobies On Target advice................

1973 was the very first year that OMC introduced the "Magneto Capacitance Discharge Ignition" system, similar to the old magneto setup that has existed since day one of outboards. The stator under the flywheel delivers approximately 300 AC volts to a powerpack capacitor to energize the pack.... the engine must crank over at least 300 rpm in order to energize the powerpack.

A "slow cranking" engine will have "no spark". Slow cranking can be due to various problems including a failing starter BUT it is normally caused by either loose cables/wires OR tight but dirty cable and wire terminal end connections, (Clean Them).

Visually inspect the stator under the flywheel. If any portion of it is cracked and leaking a sticky looking substance down on the timer base and the powerhead, that will result in a AC voltage drop to the powerpack capacitor which will result in erratic, weak, and eventually no ignition.

It cranks over fine. It has brand new battery, cables, terminals, starter. I mean after it starts to show spark it is flawless until Parked for a few days. And I've read about the 300rpm before that was the first thing I checked. That's why I went ahead and got those new parts.

Do this simple test and do it to the letter.------------Set up a tester with 3/8" gaps .-----One for each plug lead.------Leave plugs in.--------When you first crank it after 2 or 3 days do you see a spark on those gaps , yes or no?

Do this simple test and do it to the letter.------------Set up a tester with 3/8" gaps .-----One for each plug lead.------Leave plugs in.--------When you first crank it after 2 or 3 days do you see a spark on those gaps , yes or no?

No spark. I've done that test. I can hold a spark plug in my hand and not get shocked also.

Use your digital meter and test ohms on stator charge coils. ---Test ohms on timer base sensor coils.-------Post the numbers.----Tested the ignition key ?-----------Tested for spark with black / yellow stripe wire removed from powerpack ?

Last edited:
Use your digital meter and test ohms on stator charge coils. ---Test ohms on timer base sensor coils.-------Post the numbers.----Tested the ignition key ?-----------Tested for spark with black / yellow stripe wire removed from powerpack ?

Stator showed 1.3 on two yellow wires and 617.6 on brown wires going to power pack, timer base sensor coil show 7.9. I've tested ignition key and is good, and just checked for spark with black and yellow wire disconnected with no spark

After it's been sitting for a few days take a heat gun and pass over the ignition components starting with the pack and then the stator.

Please let me know if you have solved the problem. My 1991 200HP Evinrude is doing the exact same thing. If i start it everyday its fine but if it sits for two or more days i have no spark and then after trying for about 3 hours it decides to spark.

Have your battery tested / load tested !----Perhaps the starter has now been damaged too.--------Take it apart for inspection.

Brand new 800 CC Interstate battery and cables. Nothing else hooked up to the starting battery. What makes you mention the starter? Do you think it is not spinning fast enough?

Check all your grounds on your electronic components physically,remove components and wire brush or sand them clean,Pull harnesses apart and check all pins for corrosion and security

Check all your grounds on your electronic components physically,remove components and wire brush or sand them clean,Pull harnesses apart and check all pins for corrosion and security

Have you seen this problem before? I have gone thru many of the connections and cleaned them. It is just very strange that after it sits for more than 48 hours the problem occurs.

Where are you located at? Is there a lot of moisture,damp conditions,rain? Have you tried cdi electronics.com for troubleshooting procedures?

Back