Logo

help me identify v8. water in oil :(

casperfast

help a rookie boat owner out. I'm told this is a 305 GM. but the boat is a 1971 and I can't find any info on a 71 305 so im thinking it is a 307. thank you. any input u have about the entire setup is appreciated. the reason I'm trying to identify is so I can replace it. the person I bought it from told me that it was properly winterized. But upon looking at it closer after I got home I realized that the block drains Were not open, when I opened them water leaked out so I know the block was filled with water. I'm assuming that it froze and I'm guessing I have a crack in the block under the intake manifold. But no freeze plugs popped out or anything. When I pulled the oil drain plug to change the oil about two quarts of Clearwater poured out before the oil. So I wasn't sure if it got water in the intake somehow while it was parked so I change the oil flush the fuel tank fuel system new fuel filter the engine fired right up. I did have a hose connected to the fitting on the outside of the drive. This is my first boat and yes I did just get it but I'm learning. The boat ran perfect had good oil pressure all my gauges were working then I rented about three minutes shut it down check the oil and found a pure milkshake.

here are the photos ( had to shrink them)

Attachments

• engine small.jpg
    engine small.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 12
  • drive small.jpg
    drive small.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 15
  • millshake small.jpg
    millshake small.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 13
Replace the block.--------Perhaps the manifolds too.--------You might want to reconsider owning an OMC / stringer / electric shift powered boat.

why is that? are these pos or something? im more than capable of replacing the block or engine. i actually have another 307 from a 69 chevelle in my shop right now i could convert over i think.

Back