Logo

1999 70 hp Tohatsu Trim and Tilt issue

cruiser13

Hello all,

I have just become a member today , great website !

I am hoping someone will be able to assist me with a Trim and Tilt issue on a 1999 70hp Tohatsu. Any assistance is greatly appreciated .

The motor has recently been to a local mechanic to have the end cap seals and o'rings replaced in the trim and tilt, since its return it has been getting stuck in the up position, the t&t works fine if you don't tilt it to the very top. if you do tilt it all the way up it will get stuck and wont trim down again.

Now, I understand that the issue is most likely air still in the system, if you leave it for 10-20mins and go back to it and trim it down it works fine. I am struggling to purge the air out ! I have left the reservoir cap undone for sometime, trimed it up and down numerous times and checked the oil level when it is all the way up . Still no luck.

from my days working on outboards I remember that the Tohatsu's and Hondas suffer from this worse than other brands and that cracking the manual release can help, the manual release on the unit is totally siezed and wont budge.

if anyone can assist me with ideas on how to get the remaining air from the unit out would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Keep exercising the TT, and keep topping up the reservoir. Patience. Yes, operating manually could speed it up, but that seems to not be an option in your case.

Back