Logo

Got a power draw even when ignition is off.

Mattic33

Need some troubleshooting help. All I have hooked to my starter is my motor. I noticed my battery would be drained completely dead the next day. After further investigation, I realized the motor was continuously pulling power even with the key in the off position, and pulling power even though the key is out of the ignition completely. What's my next step? Appreciate the help.

What motor? What year? What HP?

Charge up your battery and disconnect the harness to your key switch and instruments from the motor. Then check to see if your battery is draining. If not, you have a short in your harness or key switch. If so, you have you have a short in your engine. If you have tilt/trim, it is often in those relays or the tilt trim wiring.

What motor? What year? What HP?

Charge up your battery and disconnect the harness to your key switch and instruments from the motor. Then check to see if your battery is draining. If not, you have a short in your harness or key switch. If so, you have you have a short in your engine. If you have tilt/trim, it is often in those relays or the tilt trim wiring.

You may be right, because I forgot to mention in the post that my tilt/trim wasn't working.

Back