Logo

Chrysler 360 fresh water cooling question

Scott.C

Anyone know the function of the small hose that goes from the water pump to the manifold return lines?
Hopefully the photo will display.... a little challenged with uploading files.
Thanks, Scott

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 397
Ayuh,.... My guess is a vent, around the t-stat for when fillin' the block, to vent the air pocket that forms,....

Scott, there is a misnomer regarding the term Fresh Water Cooling.
If your engine's cooling system incorporates a Heat Exchanger w/ ethylene glycol as the coolant, then you have a Closed Cooling System.
If not, then you have an open system, aka a Raw Water Cooled engine.

Post back reqarding the actual type of cooling system that your engine is equipped with.

Thanks for the replies. A vent seems plausible. That could have prevented the right manifold from forming an airlock after my engine rebuild! I would prefer the peace of mind to cap off both ends. I don't think it's a marine grade windshield washer hose. Yes Rick, it's a closed cooling system.

Last edited:
It appears that the hoses on the right manifold are reversed, should feed from the bottom up as does the left one. The "vent" tube should be replaced with better quality hose, (if winshield (sic) cant be spelled correctly how good can the hose be. should be able to take a little heat and maybe some clamps.

A link to another string: http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?23596-Chrysler-318-Cooling-System

[url]http://www.coastalcafe.com/images/trojan_26/86_Chrysler_318fwc_pumbing.htm

[/URL]

Here's a picture of the plumbing on the old engine before the rebuild. The Manifold hoses should look the same on the new motor. I have been under the weather and haven't been to the boat in a few weeks. My old engine broke a valve after three seasons and 100 hours. I only paid $2000 for it as a turn key unit. I was very tempted to purchase a new powerplant, but finances led me to do a complete rebuild instead. Hopefully it will do the job. Eight hours on it so far.

Attachments

• boat engine 2.jpg
    boat engine 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 492
While you are switching the hoses on the right manifold consider getting the tee above the thermostat housing (as referenced on "chucka's photo). That would make the tee the highest point in your system and maximize the bubble sucking purpose of the vent tube.

Mcomm, Thanks for all the info. You are right about switching the hoses. Can't believe I did that! Hopefully I haven't damaged anything on the right side of engine.

I have a Chrysler 360 with an open water cooling system no heat exchanger. This is a different motor that came with the boat came with a 318 that was under powered so went to the next size up. But this motor has a circulatory pump on the motor the other one did not how do I incorporate both freshwater pump in this circulatory pub together to pump to the Block. In which direction does the water flow

Post back reqarding the actual type of cooling system that your engine is equipped with.

.[/QUOTE]

I have a Chrysler 360 with an open water cooling system no heat exchanger. This is a different motor that came with the boat came with a 318 that was under powered so went to the next size up. But this motor has a circulatory pump on the motor the other one did not how do I incorporate both freshwater pump in this circulatory pub together to pump to the Block. In which direction does the water flow
Are you asking how the engine's coolant circulating pump and the seawater pump work together?

Scott's system is what we refer to as a "Full System". (Full System includes the exhaust manifolds in with the E/G coolant)
A "Half System" would use the E/G coolant for the cylinder block and cylinder heads only.

Last edited:
Back