Logo

Idle to forward engine shut down

Justin Elia

When I first start my engine I let it warm up for a few minutes before engaging it into gear. After I engage forward gear, when I begin to throttle forward slowly my engine stalls once but never the same steps after a second start. What could it potentially be? My guess is fuel not getting to the engine fast enough.

Honda 200

It could be several things. Simple things first...

It could be that you are not giving the engine's HP fuel pump enough time to charge the system. When you turn on the key and hear the two beeps, wait about 3 - 4 seconds before cranking.

Drain the VST. If you don't know how, send an email to me at [email protected] and I will send instructions.

When is the last time you changed the high pressure fuel filter? If it's been over a year, change it.

If these don't fix the problem, come back at us.

Sucking air, clogged fuel filter and or plugged injectors. Start with easiest first, inspect fuel lines insides, then tighten all fuel connections internally and externally. Then replace the filters. Finally check the injectors, particles from the fuel lines break down and plug up the injectors, I had this happen on a 115 merc once same scenario. Engine was getting enough fuel to idle and warm up, but when I called for more power I couldn't deliver more fuel due to the injectors being plugged. Ethanol is not your friend. It ate my fuel lines from the inside out and sent plastic particles into the injectors.

Well, it's minus 10 degrees Celsius up in Toronto so I'll have to wait until it warms up a bit before I can try those tips. Thanks and I will check back in with results

Back