Logo

Seastar HC5345-3 vs HC5445-3 on a 225?

metal-chicken

Regular Contributor
So I've bought a very lightly used HC5345-3 (built May 2016) to replace the old HC5345 that came on my BF225.

Looking in the manual I see that this engine should use the HC5445-3. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? Is the HC5345-3 going to explode in a fireball and mess up my day on the boat?

Thanks Dockside,

Missed it on the twin engine application. So it looks to me. 5345 on single engine.....5445 on twin engines.

It might also be a little more beefy to handle the twins.

Mike

I think Dockside is more correct....see Note 1 below the chart.

Last edited:
OK so I also asked the guy I bought it from (he deals with quite a lot of these cylinders) and he said that the 5445 is a 5345 but with a restricted stroke - so wider turns. This being the case Chris, you're right and is probably due to the shape/size of the 200/225/250 which might cause the ram to hit the transom.

Apparently the stroke restriction can be removed effectively turning it back into a 5345.

Luckily my 225 sits on a jack plate 12" behind the hull and there's no way the ram can touch anything.

I don't actually have a 5445, I have a 5345 - but the manual calls for a 5445 for the BF225. I'd be interested to hear how many BF225 owners are actually using a 5445.

OK, so this is the reply I've had..
The HC5445-3 is a stroke limited version of an HC5345-3.

The only difference is two limiting spacers installed in the HC5445-3, otherwise they are identical.

An HC5445-3 can be converted into a HC5345 by removing these spacers.
An HC5345-3 can be converted into an HC5445-3 by installing stroke limit kit HA5472

So my guy was right and I presume this is to do with a 5345 potentially hitting the deck at full turn or a possible issue with twin engines hitting each other.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I really dont fully grasp this.
my question is can I use the 5345 instead of the 5445 on my Intrepid 377 with 3x Honda 250s.
basically I can get two reman 5345 cylinders for the price of one new one here in the bahamas.

It seems that the 5445 is just a 5345 with 'restrictors/spacers' inside the tube to stop the engine turning too much at full lock. So, if you can get 5345's cheaper than 5445's AND you can get the restrictors/spacers to fit inside them then that seems to be the way forwards.

I know nothing about twins/triples but I presume if they turn too far they hit the engine next to them. If you want to fly me out from the UK to look at your setup and offer absolutely no helpful advise I'd be more than happy to accommodate you [because I've had enough of winter now] ;)

Last edited:
I suspect mine are 5345s I got the boat used 8 years ago, and apparently someone, or perhaps that's how they did it back in 2003. Put two spacers, (they look like starboard)
on the outer side of the shaft, on the port and starboard cylinders so that it restricts how much it can travel, stopping it from hitting the motorwell, hope that makes sense, I will take a pic and post it tomorrow.
Quite ingenious.

Hereis a pic (I hope) of the two spacers on the starboard engine, spacers are only on the outsid od the shaft, same setup on the port engine

sorry, i cant get the picture to post.

Last edited:
Back