Logo

1988 Yamaha 9.9 ESG

Bullie

Regular Contributor
I have a 9.9 Yamaha that will not engage forward gear. It will shift into neutral and reverse and stay there, working as it should. When I shift into forward there is a ticking sound but no engagement (prop doesn't spin) of the forward gear. If I pull the shift lever with some force to the front the gears will engage momentarily but will release when I let go of the shift lever. I have a bit of tinkering experience with old OMCs but, I admit freely, gear cases are a bit of a mystery to me. I assume the clutch dog and forward gear would need to be replaced? Am I on the right track here? What else should I look for?

I hate to ask a question that may be obvious, but where would the adjustment be? At the powerhead end of the rod or in the leg?

I hate to ask a question that may be obvious, but where would the adjustment be? At the powerhead end of the rod or in the leg?

on the leg
Yam%20T8%20shifting%20coupler.JPG

?-------Did you mark the shift rod before the adjustment ??-----Explain in some detail what you did during this trial and error.

No. I did not mark the shift rod.

I loosened the lock nut and rotated the shift rod connector lower on the shift rod then moved the shift lever forward to attempt to engage the forward gear.

I do not believe you " adjusted " anything here !---------Take the time to see how that works.----Ask yourself " are both parts the same thread " And check if they are too.--------Or find a shop to adjust it in 5 minutes.

Ok. I am sure I didn't. I think I understand your riddled answer. If I just screwed the nut down, which is all I did, I didn't actually do anything but lower the connector on the shaft. I really would rather learn something than pay someone to do it.

Ok. I am sure I didn't. I think I understand your riddled answer. If I just screwed the nut down, which is all I did, I didn't actually do anything but lower the connector on the shaft. I really would rather learn something than pay someone to do it.

Its like a turn buckle turn it one way it lenghtens the shift between the shifting handle to the shift forks turn it the other way it shortens the assembly if you turned it the wrong way it would make it so its harder to get out of reverse

Yep. I wasn't thinking about what I was doing and was only moving the connector up and down the shaft. Like racerone said, I wasn't adjusting anything. Anyway, thanks to you, TBrutlag, and racerone I was able to get it adjusted properly and everything is working as it should now. I appreciate your help and patience.

Back