Logo

Can I replace old carbs eith new TBI on Evinrude 85-115?

Booger69

I have a old 85-115 Evinrude (runs), Does not idle. I was curious if I can replace the carburators with TBI injection, I already have replacement electronic spark (Mallary multi-spark 6A). The brass carb adjusters (Syncro's ?) is missing (They don't make part anymore, cannot find replacement). Anyone help? I heard someone replaced coils with electronic spark, but I haven't heard of anyone replacing carbs with TBI. Thanks.

With a bit of engineering and a few large bags of money it might be possible.--------------What is the model # of your motor ???------------What brass adjusters ???----------------What other trouble shooting has been done ?---Compression test done and what are the numbers.

I've swapped older carbs with flap choke with newer carbs and a fuel primer solenoid. It's a pretty easy swap, if you have a donor motor to steal the parts from.

In my case, I want to say it was a 1980 motor with fuel parts borrowed from a 1989 motor. Everything bolted right on, with no modification needed, just directly bolted on. Did have to add a T to the fuel line to feed the primer solenoid, but that came from the donor motor, too.

I did this on a personal motor just for my own convenience, but it ran great after the upgrade. It idled smoothly and ran better than ever.

That being said, I don't know that I would do it for a customer. I wouldn't want to be liable if there were a problem, but it worked great for me on my personal stuff.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Some of these posts are over a year gone by.-------Pretty sure issues have been sorted out or folks bought new motors.

Back