Logo

5.7 MPI Engine bogging down at 3000RPM

NYGeorge

Last season I encountered a problem with my Marine Power 5.7 MPI engine in my 245 Sea Ray. As I opened the throttle the engine bogged down and even back fired with a light load in the boat. I returned to the dock and called my Mechanic. He arrived and removed the cable from the Throttle Body. The trouble seemed to go away. He suggested that I get connector lube from an Auto Store. I did so and lubed both ends of the cable. All went well for several months. Then the problem returned again. I removed the cables and the trouble left. I am at a loos. The throttle indictor or the throttle body could be at fault. By the way I scanned the trouble codes with my lap top and software. NO CODES. Help!

If by "cable" you mean the throttle control cable, something is missing in your description.....a 'backfire' usually indicates a lean condition.

Trouble codes will ONLY appear when the ECU detects an 'out of bounds' condition on a monitored operating parameter & the ECU's don't monitor everything. that said, newer generations monitor more parameters than previous generations.

Why not check the troubleshoot by symptom section of the factory manual?

Ayuh,.... Inspect the Contents of the fuel filter for anything but good clean gas,...
Install a new filter, 'n Try it,...

Sounds like it's runnin' Lean,...

Back