Logo

NS5B tilt stopper - two part numbers

DanOverboard

I need to replace the tilt stopper on my 1995 NS5B. Parts diagram showed 2 parts, one "blue" and one "gray". My part was painted gray so I ordered the gray one. It doesn't fit - the shaft is too thick.

What does "blue" and "gray" refer to? There is only one part # for the bushings, which doesn't make sense since they don't fit the diameter of the new part.

Thanks.

3AS624310MTILT STOPPER ASSY$21.33

What parts catalog did you use? The same part is listed for both the blue (older) and grey (newer) motors, both Tohatsu and Nissan.

I was looking in a PDF copy of Nissan's parts catalog. Shows two part numbers. I didn't notice until now that the right-hand column has a serial number range. Motor is at the marina so can't confirm at the moment. My motor is gray in color, not blue, but the part definitely doesn't fit.

Neither of those are correct. They are both very old/obsolete numbers.
Part 36962-4310 was superceded to 3AS624310M
Part 393S62431-2 was superceded to 3AS624310M
3AS624310M fits the M5B

Check the PN on the package you got. Will the stopper work without the bushings?
You may have gotten a wrong part by accident.

Neither of those are correct. They are both very old/obsolete numbers.
Part 36962-4310 was superceded to 3AS624310M
Part 393S62431-2 was superceded to 3AS624310M
3AS624310M fits the M5B

Check the PN on the package you got. Will the stopper work without the bushings?
You may have gotten a wrong part by accident.

Nissan label on the part says: 3AS-62431-0

So, seems like the right part, I guess...?

It can go without a bushing but is very wobbly, seemed like it might not always line up with the bracket. The original with the bushing moved smoothly and without any wobble.

Hmm.

The same stopper is used even on the 4-stroke MFS/NSF 4/5/6. From my resources, it's the only part available. The part was revised about 10 or so years ago, changing to stainless steel, with a longer handle "grip". The new part fits serial numbers above 069436XF; I have no idea what happens with earlier motors. If you have a very early motor, it will only have 5 digits in the serial, and no trailing letters. Is your motor ancient?

Unless you accidentally got a stopper for an MFS/NSF 8/9.8 accidentally stuffed in the wrong bag (and I would expect that to be significantly bigger overall), you probably have a very early motor, and may need to resize the bushings.

Overall dimensions are identical to the original part except for the diameter of the actual rod used.

I believe the motor is a 1995. Not sure if that means it's "ancient" or not...will have to check the serial next time I'm at the marina to see how many digits it is.

Thanks for your help.

Also, the outside dimension of the bushing fits perfectly in the bracket, but the inside of the bushing is a smaller diameter than the shaft. These are new bushings and there is only one par number for the bushings in the catalog I have seen.

Okay I finally made it to the marina to get the serial. The plate says NS5B 369-1 88687 (only the last 5 are stamped in the metal). Does that make my engine "ancient"? :cool:

I contacted the dealer I bought the tilt stopper assembly from and they said it was the only part # available, like you said. I'm still perplexed about it not fitting the bushings that fit the O.D. of the bracket, but not the I.D. of the tilt stopper assembly.

Do the newer engines not have those bushings anymore or something? I can't see how those bushings could ever work with this tilt stopper assembly.

Yes. You have an older, 5-digit serial. You will need to custom-shape the bushings to fit it. You _may_ be able to wrap the ss rod with sandpaper, and then work the bushings against the paper, thereby maintaining the curvature and shape of the rod material; ultimately, you would have "custom" bushings. :)

I like the sandpaper idea. I was contemplating​ clamping them in the bracket without the stopper assy and boring them out with a drill bit the same diameter as the rod of the stopper assy, but your way seems like it would have less chance of going horribly wrong...

Thanks for the help, I owe you a beer or two!

Back