Logo

1973 Evinrude 25hp sportster

My 1973 Evinrude sportster 25 Hp outboard motor starts like a dream. I can crank it any day without a hitch. The problem only comes when I put the motor in gear. Once the motor is in gear(forward), and the accelerator is turned the motor revs high, sometimes convulsing. Not convulsing consistently but minor jerks at times. If I maintain about 30% on the throttle I notice no issues with the motor apart from going very slow. Something feels like it is not catching. Nonetheless while in gear, the prop still continues to spin. At top speed with this problem my boat only runs 5 1/2 mph. At full operation the motor pushes my 14 foot boat at 22 mph with no passengers.

imagejpeg

What did you ever find ??

We found that the forward gear and bushing were worn where the clutch dog connects., causing the motor to pop out of gear at mid to high RPM. I am having trouble finding a reasonably priced forward gear and clutch dog replacement. I need input on if the 9.5 hp Evinrude made in the same year, have the same forward gear and clutch dog assy.

My 1973 Evinrude sportster 25 Hp outboard motor starts like a dream. I can crank it any day without a hitch. The problem only comes when I put the motor in gear. Once the motor is in gear(forward), and the accelerator is turned the motor revs high, sometimes convulsing. Not convulsing consistently but minor jerks at times. If I maintain about 30% on the throttle I notice no issues with the motor apart from going very slow. Something feels like it is not catching. Nonetheless while in gear, the prop still continues to spin. At top speed with this problem my boat only runs 5 1/2 mph. At full operation the motor pushes my 14 foot boat at 22 mph with no passengers.

imagejpeg

Just saw your post. Not sure if you solved the problem with your Sportster or not, but I have a 69 25hp Sportster in very good overall condition with low use BUT, the driveshaft splines rounded off at the upper end of the shaft. I am selling it as is for $200. If interested you can contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks!

Back