Logo

Help needed to ID year of Johnson Tracker Outboard

Wayne Sullivan

Hello all,
New guy here from Maryland hoping to pick the brains of some of the experts on this site.
I recently bought a 14 ft runabout with a 25 hp Johnson Tracker with electric start however the ID tag is missing. I'm trying to find out the model number and year it was made. I've attached several photos. The previous owner said he thought it was made in 1978 but wasn't sure. If it was made in 78, I would presume the model number is 25E78. As you can see from the photo, the only number on the small round disc is the serial number. The motor runs great although a rupe-dupe choke was added to the carb, but seems to function properly. Before buying any parts such as the water pump impeller kit, I wanted to ID the year as there seems to be a difference between the 1978 and 1979 impellers. Can anyone ID year / model number of this motor? I would very much appreciate it. Many thanks.

Attachments

• mtr 8.jpg
    mtr 8.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 144
  • mtr 9.jpg
    mtr 9.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 110
  • motor 1.jpg
    motor 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 198
  • mtr 3.jpg
    mtr 3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 75
  • mtr 5.jpg
    mtr 5.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 69
  • mtr 7.jpg
    mtr 7.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 98
The electric primer ( with red lever ) is a very , very good unit.-------Far better than any other choking option.--------------I would put this motor in the late 1980's early 1990's.---------------It is definetely not a 1978 model , no way !

Last edited:
Put up pics of the back side of the powerhead need to see the ignition module. I believe 1989 was the first year of the tracker for OMC. The ignition for the 89-92 models is under the flywheel. In 1993 they moved it back to the side of the engine block.

Ok bear with me on this. Your motor is probably 1989-93 and that's as close as I can get you. The ignition pack you have is correct for the 1993 model. But since it's a CDI aftermarket box it could be a conversion from the UFI ignition used from 1989-92. If it's a conversion that is a good thing but it uses the same ignition from a 1993 model which is a much better ignition. You also need to make sure your primer is working because that plate on the front of the carb is a home made choke that shouldn't be there.

Last edited:
I appreciate each of you that took the time to respond. I owe you a beer! I understand exactly what you are saying about the ignition pack. A couple of more questions if I may?
If you were looking for a owners / service manual, what year should I get? Can you suggest an engine model number that should be on that manual cover that would cover my motor?
Are most parts interchangable between 89 and 93 such as the impeller kit?
Again...thank you very much.
Wayne

You are welcome. Stick with the 89-93 years and you will be good. There are not a lot of changes to that motor from 85 on so parts should be easy to find. If you have a dealer around you they may be able to narrow the year down for you. Good luck.

Back