Logo

Crusader 454XL - Ignition buzzer doesn't buzz on startup, but engine runs & oil pressure/water OK

boatingbob

Crusader 454XL - Ignition buzzer doesn't buzz on startup, but engine runs & oil pressure/water OK

Hi Guys!

Hoping for some quick diagnostic help before I go tearing into this myself. The ignition buzzer on my port motor doesn't go on when I turn the key. The engine starts fine, and the oil pressure and engine temperature are fine. The buzzer on the starboard engine works fine: buzzes when key turned, turns off after engine starts.

I am guessing a problem with the oil pressure sensor switch, but before I start blindly changing components, I'd love some tips on how to troubleshoot this, or if anyone's had a similar problem, share the experience?

Thanks!

Re: Crusader 454XL - Ignition buzzer doesn't buzz on startup, but engine runs & oil pressure/water O

Find the buzzer make sure there is power on one wire and ground the other. If the buzzer comes on then the buzzer is good.

The buzzer works on a grounding circuit. Loss of oil pressure or high temp just grounds the circuit to turn on the buzzer.

Re: Crusader 454XL - Ignition buzzer doesn't buzz on startup, but engine runs & oil pressure/water O

As quick check, ground the terminal on the oil pressureswitch (located aft left side of engine block) with ignition key on – engine not running. If the buzzer sounds the switch is bad or the terminal connection is bad. If no buzzer, the problem is upstream. Check for voltage to the buzzer with key on. If voltage is there the problem may be a bad buzzer or a lack of continuity due to damaged wiring or a poor connection. Definitely want this problem fixed !!
FL Panhandle

Thanks for the great info! Here's a question (and a possible clue): does each engine have it's own buzzer? I notice this problem when I start the motors on the upper AND lower helm stations.

they should have independent warning systems on each engine....

Today is 3/12/17. Is this last post from makomark on 3/1/17 actually the last post on this forum? It is usually a little more active.

Us snow bunnies don't start working on the hibernating boats until we get some Spring weather and then we hope we don't have to come here to solve a problem that crops up when the motors are awakened after sleeping all winter:D...(it will get busy as the warm weather gets here):cool:

I had the same issue, turns out the mechanic didn't connect the plug. Hard to say where, but the plug was located just off the engine. so...check harness starting at the engine.

Back