Logo

2004 BF200 XA Rookie Mistake: Anybody Had to Install Shift Shaft in Lower Unit?

Randy Brunson

Contributing Member
So, I was putting the foot back on after doing a water pump service and apparently something was lined up properly. When I was tightening the bolts an the lower unit, I heard a pretty loud pop sound and thought, "uh oh."

The top of the shift shaft that engages on the underside of the power head was bent, which is a bummer, and one of the "E" clips inside the foot popped loose (I think that was the noise I heard). If that's all I messed up, then I feel like that isn't too bad. I've ordered the parts, and my only remaining concern (if that's all the that's wrong), is re-assembling the shift shaft in the lower unit. The diagram in the service manual has it going two different ways according to whether it's counter rotating or not, but it's still a little tricky looking and I want to make sure I get it right.

Has anyone ever had to do this, and can anyone give me any tips to make sure I get the installation correct?

Thanks.

It appears you were pulling the lower unit up with the bolts and the shift splines were not lined up.-----------------Lower units usually go together without using bolts.-----------Lesson learned I think.

I did mine a couple years ago and dont recall there being much difficulty. For me the difficult part was separating the lower from the mid. Had to use a wood block and hammer to gently tap it out.

I have 2006 with same issue. It appears there can be slight mis-alignment between the shift shaft and the splines. It took me days to figure out how to go back together and get them lined up. My e-clip was ok, so where the splines. I do not know if due to previous owner, but it might have pulled a small gall. Now when I pull the lower units, the shift shaft comes with it.

When reinstalling take the small cowling of around the yoke just above the lower unit. This will expose the shift shaft and you will be able the push and pull on it there to get to engage. I typically put a needle nose locking pliers on it, like a handle, just to move it slightly. I watch the engagement while sliding the lower unit into place. EZ PZ. It seems as though a small 1/16" movement is all you need. If you check the e-ring and washer it should still be slightly loose.

once you are complete, return the engine to the vertical position and go try your shift from forward to reverse and make sure it's working. If not, it's jammed up into the arm linkage. Good luck.

And the flats point forward to line up. That's the neutral position. If you check schematic on the Honda parts diagram I am pretty sure it will show this. Also, there is a marine website with all the service manuals loaded. Let me know if you need it, I'll have to look the name up on the other computer...

Back