Logo

Throttle/shifter Problem

ivanhoe

I have an early 16 ft. 140hp inboard/outboard Jolly Roger Boat. It has a Mercruiser out-drive and I am trying to connect the shift cable which was not hooked up. I bought the boat for near nothing price. I understand that someone changed the motors but didn't get the throttle/shift cables hooked up. I have had the motor started and it runs sweet. The only problem is it won't start in neutrol. It has to be in forward or reverse to start and throttle up. I figure I need to reach out and make sure I have it hooked up right? The shifter is a single throw T handle with a button under the handle. Any help would be very helpful. Thank-you.

Kinna sounds like a start safety switch is wired backwards. If its aftermarket it could have three terminals you want the two that are normally closed. The switch will open in forward or reverse to keep the starter from turning. Pull the controls apart and take a pic of the safety switch.

without specifics, hard to say what you have let alone what could be wrong.

if the wiring follows the Standards, the key switch will have RED (+12VDC from battery), PURPLE - Ignition to coil, and YELLOW/RED - +12VDC to starter. The YELLOW/RED wire usually leads to the neutral safety switch and then the starter (many times thru a 'slave' relay).

Id suggest getting out a test light and figure out where the error is.

I guess I should have been more specific that I need to know which cable goes where on the engine. I don't believe wires has been touched around the neutral safety switch, at least there is no indication that they have been tampered with. I am the one that hooked the cables to the engine and am questioning my work.

The safety switch is working backwards you probably have it wired properly. Take the controls apart and show us pics of the safety switch. You probably have the mercontrol box get some marine grease and clean it up good and replace any bushings that may be shot while you have it apart. There is a detent roller and spring that holds it in neutral you need to be aware of when you take it apart.

Again my question is, back by the engine there is two cables one I believe is a shift cable and the other I think is the throttle cable. I hooked them up BACK BY THE ENGINE, I am not sure that I have them hooked correctly so that is why i am asking.

Again my question is, back by the engine there is two cables one I believe is a shift cable and the other I think is the throttle cable. I hooked them up BACK BY THE ENGINE, I am not sure that I have them hooked correctly so that is why i am asking.
Back by the engine there will be three cables not two. Two from the control box and one out to the outdrive.

Two cables from the control box, Move the control box from Neutral and the first cable that moves is the shift cable. Move the control box further and the throttle cable will start to move.

If your safety switch is not working properly people can die. It is your responsibility to make sure the boat is safe, it is always the innocent who get harmed from someone elses ignorance.

Back