Logo

6.0L zf Hurth xmission oil change

Russf

6.0l Crusaders with ZF Hurth Xmissions in Tiara 2900

Manuals have some conflicting information on changing the transmission oil. Here is what I believe is the process. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. Start engine and get the oil flowing in the lines to the oil cooler and in the cooler.

2. Stop engine and ASAP check the oil level (without screwing the dipstick back in) before the oil in the cooler and lines can flow back to the xmission. This is done so that when running the level is measured with oil in the lines and the cooler and filled as indicated by the dip stick. If not done this way and the oil has flowed back to the xmission the level will be low when the engine is running and the lines and cooler are filled.

3. I will note that the measuring portion of the dipstick is close in color to the fluid making it difficult to see just where on the dipstick the oil level is.

Appreciate comments on this. Thanks.

Both but I believe the fluid needs changing based on time in the transmission. I will say however that when I see it on the dipstick it has the same red color as new Dexron fluid has.

you didn't say which model so what follows applies to the 63 version....

What you described is for the threaded dipsticks...some have what I'd call the BW push in and turn style - those are to be fully inserted when checking. It may help to scribe a line (or notch it with a fine hacksaw) at the MIN level to remove any ambiguity reading the stick.

Also, once you get the fluid level correct, you may want to consider marking the dipstick with an auxiliary 'cold' mark so you can check it after its been sitting overnight, without the engine running.....

makomark,when checking "warm" trans fluid is engine running or not? The method described in thread#1 by Russf seems a little aukward and it's out of an owners manual

I have no idea what is meant by KOER vs OFF means. Running the engine first is to get the transmission oil flowing into the lines to and from the oil cooler and into the cooler.

sorry KOER = Key On Engine Running...just like you described....The gear makers want to ensure adequate volume inside the gear so they want you to check the level after the cooling system is full and flowing immediately after the engine gets shut off.....the fluid in the cooler lines will flow back into the gear after the engine is shut off.

Back