Logo

2002 BF225 thermostats

Reelaxin

Hello All

Was thinking of changing out the thermostats this spring as they haven't been done in a while. Any idea how difficult this would be? It appears that access to the thermostats may be difficult. Any input on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I've changed the engine oil and gear oil, replaced the spark plugs and changed out the low and high pressure filter, however, I've paid to have the impeller done. Didn't feel comfortable dropping the lower unit.

Thanks in advance!

They are easy to get to once you remove the muffler (large black plastic cover on top of the motor). #10 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF225A2 XA/THROTTLE BODY/parts.html

You have to gently take the throttle cables out of the groove and let them hang. You do not have to remove either ends. There are 4 bolts that hold the muffler on....you have to completely remove them and then you pull the muffler out of the rubber grommet on the throttle body. There is a small hose next to the throttle body that you have to remove from the muffler also...don't forget to put it back on.

There are two thermostats and the covers are held on with 3 bolts.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...5A2 XA/EXHAUST MANIFOLD THERMOSTAT/parts.html

It would be wise to change the o rings also.

eezzy peezy.

Mike

That is one of the easiest thing to do on that motor. No way I would pay to have that done, you can do it in about an hour. Take a good look at the t-stat housing in the block ( port side?). Look for corrosion there. My '02 corroded thru the block at the base of that T-Stat housing. Thank god for SteelStik.

Mike made it sound pretty easy so I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Will check for corrosion. Hopefully all is good. Thanks everyone!

Update: Went ahead and changed out the thermostats and it was pretty simple. The port thermostat had some corrosion that looked more like hard water deposits than salt. Cleaned it all up with a wire brush and flushed it with the hose nozzle and put in the new t-stats with new o-rings. I must admit this is one service item that I had neglected for a while. Will be checking and replacing them more frequently from here on out.

If you are willing to shell out $116 for the Official Helm Shop Manual (available on eBay and Amazon) you will find the Chapter 3 - Detailed Maintenance Procedures- will save you many $$$ and give you a great familiarity with your engine. Don't waste your money on the cheap aftermarket manuals - too many errors and omissions.

It's easy...2-4 hours by yourself. Just getting to everything takes a while. If they are operating well now, replace and now you have spares. Good luck. Don't forget o-rings as well. If you pinch one or slice it you'll have to replace. Their cheap...

Back