Logo

2001 Mercury 90hrs 4 stroke

toybreaker

This motor has always from new bogged out of the hole, but no problems for ten years with the carbs until the last five years. Had them cleaned 4 times in as many years and doing it now. All the lines replaced and yet there seems to be a float problem. floods when pumping the bulb. Soaked them in over the counter Berrymans for two days. any suggestions? Anything for the bogging on take off?

Suggestion: Mount carbs in a vise and pump the bulb hard as you can. If/ When they leak, lower the float level a 1/16 inch at a time until they "behave". Works great, and might cure your bogging problem. If not, try a tad richer on the idle mixture screws (say, an 1/8 turn).

Jeff

No Sir I don't have one of those! I might could afford one if I had all the money I spent at all the certified dealers that have worked on this boat in the past five years though! I have given up on them, thus this forum! I can't tell what that is but my suspicion is that it is something to help me sync the carbs all together. Of course I know that my homemade one gage contraption isn't what you would suggest, but it's all I have. What is your suggestion to help my problem?

Sorry Chris! You struck a nerve! Lets start over here. If the dealer prier to me had synced the carbs and I didn't do anything to the adjustments will that need to be done again? My homemade one is from a brake bleeder. Is that good enough?

Last edited:
Pull the carbs down to a pile, put them in an ultrasonic hot tank and cook them for a few hours , get service kits for them and reassemble them setting the float levels to spec.

Four separate vacuum gauges will work. Boat has to be in the water. Get a copy of the service manual set up procedure and take your time. Small adjustment increments.

Last edited:
Back