Logo

Same shifting problem on 3 motors

Blackjack101

I have a evenrude 18hp from 1970, 20hp Johnson & a 25hp evenrude all similar/identical parts & all made in 70s. While NOT running they all seem to go into all gears fine while spinning prop. However while engine running none of them go into forward but they do go in reverse and neutral. I've taken lower units off and tried adjusting shift rods several times . I know the fwd gear on one isn't stripped .

There is no adjustment at the shift connecter.---------------Both the notches on upper and lower shift rods must be lined up with holes before bolt is installed.-------------There is some adjustment at the top on the shift lever.

So, exactly what happens when you attempt to shift to forward? Shift lever won't move into forward position? Makes grinding noise? Lever moves to forward position, but prop doesn't spin, no noise, no nothing? Something else?

So, exactly what happens when you attempt to shift to forward? Shift lever won't move into forward position? Makes grinding noise? Lever moves to forward position, but prop doesn't spin, no noise, no nothing? Something else?
---when I try to shift into fwd it'll slightly grind at best. But when engines off & I spin prop it acts like it's in fwd.

Did you remove the philips screw in the lower unit at any time ?--------------Have you had these lower units apart yourself ?Are the two screws lined up with the notches of the rods in the brass connecter ?

Either the shift linkage is worn out, loose, or improperly adjusted. Or the clutch dogs and forward gears are totally worn out. Or both. Either one damages the other.

You can check the shift linkage for problems through the connector access hole. Clutch dogs and gears require disassembly of the gearcase (and know what you are looking for).

All of the above are common problems. Now it is up to you to inspect the motors.

Are you using a remote control on these 3 engines... or... manually shifting the engines right at the transom?

As mentioned above... there IS NOT any adjustment via the shift rods. The grove in the upper and lower shift rod must absolutely be aligned with the bolt hole in the brass shift connector before the bolt is inserted and tightened.

With both shift rods aligned as they should be, insert a screwdriver into the slot of the brass shift connector. Now, with the shift lever in neutral... and holding the shift lever from moving, try to move that brass connector up and down without moving any part of the shift lever part at the powerhead.

If you are able to move that brass shift connector, then obviously you have play somewhere that you need to correct.... usually at the end of the shift lever shaft under the powerhead BUT it could exist elsewhere.

Quite strange that you would have that same flaw on all three engines though.

Back