Logo

changing from controls to tiller handle on mariner 90hp

cjsiebert87

Bought a boat that needs a lot more work that I had originally thought. I'm basically gonna have to gut it down to bare bones and rebuild. Good news however is I paid $700 and it came with a good running 90hp mercury mariner outboard. I want to turn the boat into a tiller driven machine and lose the cable and controls. My question is how do I determine what tiller handle or if there is even one available to fit my engine. I looked around for a different motor entirely but the biggest engines that are equipped with a tiller I've found have been 50hp. I'd really like to put a tiller handle on my 90hp. Also, how hard is the process of installing a tiller handle? Any help would be appreciated. The boat is an 89 Alumacraft Competitor 16.5 and the motor is original so I'm guessing it's an 89 as well.

??-----You guys need to look beyond your local pond / lake.---------------Big tiller motors are popular on work boats in remote communities.---------------Recoil starters even on 120 hp models !

Hello, I just removed the tiller from my 2012 60H.P. Mercury outboard, and converted it to a steering console model. I had to purchase a conversion kit from Mercury to do the conversion, so if your interested, I am willing to sell the tiller kit cheap. Any marine engine mechanic should be able to connect this newer kit to a older motor, plus I still have the instructions.

Ger's Triumph

Is your motor a 3 cylinder or 6 cylinder model # would be nice that will make a difference on parts availability. Racer is correct plenty of big motors with tillers on them.

Very remote communities, iv'e been around clam boats big and small all my life,all had a helm,usually in bow,out of the working deck area,not one a tiller,but i'm still looking. BTW i'm not a clammer

Back