Logo

Help!! I have a 1996 6hp 2 stroke mariner that wont stay running?

Pizzle

I picked a 6hp thats been sitting in a barn for some years for $250 bucks. Now i have to get it running lol. The only way i can get it to run is if i put fuel in the carb. I removed the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner and installed it, but that did not do anything. Im thinking my next step is to remove carb and soak it and get a carb rebuild kit.???

Where can i pickup a carb kit?

fuel pump and carb rebuild kit all in one?

Anyone have any pointers?

TIA

marineengine .com is a source for parts, If she's been sitting a very long time the entire fuel system should be gone over, From tank to carb. Cleaned,flushed,carb. disassembled soaked and rebuilt, Do a very through job on carb.every nook and cranny,after soaking,flush with pressurized water,followed by pressurized filtered air, Before sinking any money into parts check engine compression on all cylinders, Next check spark with an open air gap spark tester

Thanx for the info Johnny. I think i need to do compression test asap before anything.

I cant make out the serial number. Its super faded. Is it located anywhere else on the motor?

Update. Removed fuel pump and found this hard white stuff. So i ordered a new fuel pump kit and carb rebuild kit also. Fingers crossed ill be fishing soon lol.

Back