Logo

Salt crystallised on outside seam

Neillo

I got home a few days ago from a a couple of weeks vacation and noticed that their is a line of crystallised salt along a seam on the lower leg (just in front of the prop) of my Suzuki 70.

Anyone know what's caused this? And is it a concern?

thanks

Taste it ,Is it salt? Where you running it in salt water while on vacation? Was the boat left at home? Question is too vague!!

Taste it ,Is it salt? Where you running it in salt water while on vacation? Was the boat left at home? Question is too vague!!
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. Yes, I tasted it and it is salt. And I was running it in salt water during the two weeks I was away.

I only noticed the salt several days after I arrived home, when I went to wash the boat.

Thanks Johnny. I'll check the oil.
The white stuff you can see in the photo is definitely salt. I tasted it and it was salty. And it washed off easily. I just don't get why it was there.
Is it possible that there is a gasket at that seam and the gasket has absorbed saltwater while the leg has been sitting in the water (for 2 weeks)? And then, once the boat was taken out of the water, the saltwater slowly leached back out of the gasket over a few days and as it evaporated it left behind the salt residue?

Back