Logo

Old Mercury outboard

aussievet1965

Hi every one, I'm old in body but new at doing this so please bear with me.
My brother inlaw gave me his 110 9.8 outboard serial number 2272608 some 10yrs ago, told be it started but wouldn't keep running. I did try to start it, it started then died, started again died. So into the back shed it went, I was 59 then may be a little younger now I'm 69. So been retired for some four and half years, ex boilmaker used to made Guillotines, panbrakes and presses. I'm a hands on person, story is so i pull out the Mercury. Checked the motor all over looks good connects fuel, put a small bit of oil in spark hole couple of pulls on cord. Spark plugs back in 6 pulls on the start cord and away it goes, coughed about 6 times big puff of smoke, good as gold. OK, can some one help me with the year of this motor i thought had died also whats involved in dropping the lower leg and getting impeller, gearbox shaft bearings. I had the motor running for about 1 hour all up, but did not engage gearbox. I drained the gearbox and not much oil in there and dirty brown color no water in the oil but dirty. Any information would be great. By the way I'm Peter from Australia. The land of OZ.

Does the engine have the external coils or are they under the flywheel? 68-69 they changed from the phelon magneto ignition to the phasemaker. Pull the prop or try to once you drop the gearbox and see if the driveshaft is good when you pull the water pump housing. It is the gearbox that usually condemns those motors they can be impossible to repair and parts are real expensive if you can find them. The seal on the bottom of the water pump is the gearbox upper oil seal and if the driveshaft is all pitted it needs replaced.

No coil on the outside, and the leads go under the flywheel. To drop the leg do I have to remove the forward/reverse shaft on the side of the motor. The actual motor doesn't seem the have any corrosion on the outside. Removed the prop and the shaft has no wobbles or looseness. I spoke to my brother inlaw (Dave) as told me it was regularly service until some one stole his boat from his mates place. Hence he had a motor and no boat. But no one has touched the motor since I got and it's been in the back of the shed all this time. I thought it was stuffed. Proved me wrong. Once I check out the pump my son has a 12' punt we're going boating. So it's a 68-69. nice to know and thanks for your help. As for a manual I'll make some enquiries around here in OZ. Thanks again. When I drop the leg I'll put in on the forum.

Sounds promicing if it was easy to pull the prop. There are two nuts holding the gearbox on one just above the prop on the underside and the nut on the front just above the cavitation plate. the one in front will likely not be able to be removed until you get the gearbox to drop a little. Do nt hammer anywher on the gearbox they are real brittle. You can take a weight and hang it from the gearbox and then use a hrd rubber mallot or a 2X4 and a hammer on the bullet part of the gearbox is the strongest part just let gravity do its job. do not force it you can heat up the driveshaft housing with a torch at the front stud that is the one that usually holds up the show.

Hi, finally got to work on the motor, it's been raining cats and dogs for days and I think most of the cats landed in my place. Back to the motor, removed the nuts which did unscrew quite easy. Gave the cavitation plate a good thump and it dropped about 2", the gear change shaft need a extra leverage and off it came. Removed the water pump which is completely stuffed, shaft if good but the upper and lower seal needs replacing. So looks like a water pump kit need doing.
Found out a like more about the motor that my brother-in-law gave me. He lent the boat ,trailer and motor to a relo of his to go fishing, the guy told the boat back to his own place and took the motor off, he then parked the boat in a vacant block behind his house, so when he got up the boat and trailer were stolen.

Back