Logo

Starter won't go!

markrkrebs

I'm a new owner. Everything used to work. Think I let the smoke out of the starter. (long story).

Now, I can make the starter motor spin by applying power directly to the starter. Above that (I believe) is a solenoid which does not click or anything, and is supposed to both energize the motor and engage the pinion gear. Can anybody describe how I should debug this? I guess I suspect the solenoid but am not sure.

Thanks very much,
Mark

Woooo! Fixed it.

This was pretty stupid. Tracing the electricity backwards, there's this wire that goes to the transmission...

"Where's the transmission lever?" I hollered. "Pushed forward a bit..." Soon after fixing that, she started up just like usual. How dumb.

I'm a new owner. Everything used to work. Think I let the smoke out of the starter. (long story).

Now, I can make the starter motor spin by applying power directly to the starter. Above that (I believe) is a solenoid which does not click or anything, and is supposed to both energize the motor and engage the pinion gear. Can anybody describe how I should debug this? I guess I suspect the solenoid but am not sure.

Thanks very much,
Mark

So what you're saying is, the selector switch for the tranny wasn't centered? Yes, that would make the starter inoperable. There's a safety switch in the lever that senses if the tranny is out of gear or not. Sometimes these switches get finicky and you have you move the selector back and forth in an attempt to find "center" because the detent wears out.
Frank

Back